LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Sheet Metal Intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 PM

Sheet Metal Intakes?

Where do you get them and whats the ballpark cost? And how about some gains to expect? I hand ported my intake, but after doing some research I think I may step up to a sheet metal one down the road after more suspension mods.

The reason to start this thread is I read that the stock intake has about a 15% air flow loss, and a professionally ported intake will loose about 10%, and a sheet metal will loose only 2%-3% is that right?

Thanks in advance and please no flame wars
Old 04-29-2007, 11:45 PM

They cost anywhere from $1500-$5000+....
Old 04-30-2007, 01:30 AM

You would be better off spending your money somewhere else really, are the heads home ported? If they are spend the money you save on an intake and get an le3 or ai setup.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by zx1216
You would be better off spending your money somewhere else really, are the heads home ported? If they are spend the money you save on an intake and get an le3 or ai setup.
Heads are either LE2s or LE3s (I think they are the 3s), I bought them used from a friend and he couldn't remember the specs, but I need send some pics to Lloyd and he'll tell me what they are.

I thought the sheetmetal intakes were under $1200, but I guess I was way off LOL. Mabye I'll just send my intake to Lloyd and have him do a better job than I did.

But does anyone have some pics of ported intakes or sheetmetal intakes? I'd be interested in comparing them.

Thanks for the replies
Old 04-30-2007, 09:27 AM

I have a Hogan sheet metal intake on my NHRA LT1 Super Stock Formula Firebird. I doubt that the $3000 expense would be worth it unless you're flowing a large volume of air at high RPM. My car cas run in the 9.70 range when I really lean on it while NHRA Stock eliminator cars are capable of 10.30's with a stock manifold. In addition to the cost factor, there are complications with plumbing and clearance that must be addressed from the outset. For example, I probably put 20 hours into making the throttle body clear the fuel rails, plumbing the fuel system, etc. I use a motor plate so the engine sits a little lower in the car than a stocker. The manifold fit the block/heads precisely, therefore installation is very uncomplicated. Hogan required that I send him my heads and provide exact measurements of block height in order to make everything fit. The workmanship is very impressive.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by cnorton
I have a Hogan sheet metal intake on my NHRA LT1 Super Stock Formula Firebird. I doubt that the $3000 expense would be worth it unless you're flowing a large volume of air at high RPM. My car cas run in the 9.70 range when I really lean on it while NHRA Stock eliminator cars are capable of 10.30's with a stock manifold. In addition to the cost factor, there are complications with plumbing and clearance that must be addressed from the outset. For example, I probably put 20 hours into making the throttle body clear the fuel rails, plumbing the fuel system, etc. I use a motor plate so the engine sits a little lower in the car than a stocker. The manifold fit the block/heads precisely, therefore installation is very uncomplicated. Hogan required that I send him my heads and provide exact measurements of block height in order to make everything fit. The workmanship is very impressive.
Yeah I understand what you are saying. $3000+ for a few HP up top really isn't worth it to me, but someone like you that races for points it may be worth that little extra hp that you can get.

Thanks for the replies, but I think a ported stocker will do just fine for a long time
Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 PM

Have you looked into a single plane conversion? Kinda the middle ground between the LT1 and the Sheet metal intakes. The price is pretty reasonable as well, especially with the recent increase in lt4 manifolds.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1
Have you looked into a single plane conversion? Kinda the middle ground between the LT1 and the Sheet metal intakes. The price is pretty reasonable as well, especially with the recent increase in lt4 manifolds.
Thought about that too, but don't really know whats involved. Any info would be appreciated
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM

more info?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by turnin20s
Thought about that too, but don't really know whats involved. Any info would be appreciated
pretty much u get an old carburated single-plane intake manifold, such as the victor jr. and u take it to a machine shop and have the holes changed to bolt up to a LT1
Old 06-06-2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by reamo04
pretty much u get an old carburated single-plane intake manifold, such as the victor jr. and u take it to a machine shop and have the holes changed to bolt up to a LT1
haha, its a little more complicated than that.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:18 PM

gimme

3k Ill take that money and invest it for u what are you building a lt1 jet fighter.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by zx1216
haha, its a little more complicated than that.
Thats what I thought too. I have seen guys have used ones listed for $1800 with the TB and adapter. But it would be interesting to know how its done
Old 06-07-2007, 12:54 AM

just get your LT1 manifold ported if that'll make you feel better...or just send me the $3k
Old 06-07-2007, 03:27 AM

It depends on what heads you are planning on running as to whats involved. If you are running a SBC head that you are converting just tell them to leave the intake bolts in the SBC location and then all you have to do is drill for the injectors or buy one with them already installed.

Some places charge outrageous amounts to do the conversion, others are very reasonable. I think about 3-400 bucks is a fair price for the work. I have seen places that charge over a $1000 though and I don't understand why.

You can also now buy the Vic-JR or Vic-E from edelbrock with the injector bungs already done, so all that would be need is the bolt hole realigned which some people do themselves. Accel also makes fuel injection single planes.

1800 might be a fair price for a fully ported, with Elbow, TB, Fuel rails and injectors.

I bought a vic-e, ported, converted with rails for $300, but the TB and elbow can be that much by them selfs if you buy new.

Last edited by 95ttoplt1; 06-07-2007 at 03:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Sheet Metal Intakes?