LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

rk sport questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 07:32 PM

rk sport questions

ok, been searching...
i was gonna order (or actually did) these headers last year but they were so backordered that i cancelled
well, i have enough money again and basically i want to know what all i need for hooking these up
i had :

rk sport headers- 450 on site +around 30 shipping= 480
felpro gaskets- can't remember price, i need 8 though, plus 2 for the connection to the y (connecting to custom cat setup so i don't need the last 1)
wires- any suggestions?
ovc kit- can't remember, is this needed? i thought i read somewhere it was easier to run the wires in the stock locations on these headers
headers bolts- i guess you can't (or wouldn't want to) reuse the stock ones, and are arp good and how much are they?

i guess that's it
sorry, just trying to get the budget in order to get these things
Old 03-26-2005, 07:44 PM

Re: rk sport questions

okay, first question...why 8 felpro gaskets plus 2 for y-pipe. i understand the 2 for the y pipe for the header flanges. but why not 2 felpro gaskets? you do understand that one gasket covers one side of the engine? and they are usually sold in pairs. and go with felpro 1406's. found here:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...2D1406&FROM=MG

ovc wires, i like them. you can probably use stock. i would prefer ovc wires. good routing and keeps them away from the headers. i also use the heat sleeves for the spark plug boots as well. found here (completely optional) and also in different colors:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

and header bolts, go with breslins. hands down one of the best header bolts out there. found here:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...%2D076&FROM=MG

edit: i forget the length you need for the header bolts. maybe 1" bolts... someone else can confirm this for sure. just search summit for the different bolts.
hope this helps.

Last edited by slverbullet; 03-26-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Everything is basically covered above. I however ran my MSD wires in the stock area and it worked good. I had to re-route one wire that kept getting burnt but this was with Hooker LT's, so RK's may be better. I know a fella who went with OVC with his AS&M/RK's and hated it, so he might have been the one to say it wasnt good for those designed headers. For some reason I somewhat remember that being said too. Good luck.

-Dustin-
Old 03-26-2005, 08:45 PM

i went with the ovc wires and went with the side mounts. i like them a lot better than the wires that actually mount to the valve covers. dont know that there is really an advantage/disadvantage to side mount though other than two different mounting locations. i just like the fact that its keeps the wires visibly away from the headers. to each there own really.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by slverbullet
okay, first question...why 8 felpro gaskets plus 2 for y-pipe. i understand the 2 for the y pipe for the header flanges. but why not 2 felpro gaskets? you do understand that one gasket covers one side of the engine? and they are usually sold in pairs. and go with felpro 1406's. found here:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...2D1406&FROM=MG

ovc wires, i like them. you can probably use stock. i would prefer ovc wires. good routing and keeps them away from the headers. i also use the heat sleeves for the spark plug boots as well. found here (completely optional) and also in different colors:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

and header bolts, go with breslins. hands down one of the best header bolts out there. found here:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...%2D076&FROM=MG

edit: i forget the length you need for the header bolts. maybe 1" bolts... someone else can confirm this for sure. just search summit for the different bolts.
hope this helps.
yea, sorry, 2 gaskets for the felpros
i was thinking 8 cylinders, 8 gaskets for some reason
thanks for the correction

i think i'll go stock location with the wires because it might be better than ovc (i swear if i find that post that said the wires are better stock i'll post it) and for the money saved on it

what kind of wires did you guys use on these? i'm sure they're some longer msd ones or something, and i've heard that msd makes good wires (heard mixed opinions on taylors)

off topic- dustin, emailed or p/med you back, can't remember which one
Old 03-26-2005, 09:48 PM

Internet gnomes must have stolen it, I dont have anything in either spot.

-Dustin-
Old 03-26-2005, 10:26 PM

i used taylor wires. the 8mm cut to fit wires. they are around $50 and are good wires. and i dont see how stock location for the wires could be anybetter.... but whatever. no harm in going with stock location though either. a good place to pick up some wires or whatever for your f-body needs, check out these places:

www.thunderracing.com
www.tbyrnemotorsports.com

or check out some of the other board sponsors. they all carry great products.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:46 AM

not sure if this matters or not but those rk's are an offroad kit...only smog friendly 1 3/4 shorties is slp
Old 03-27-2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Antz97ZNJ
not sure if this matters or not but those rk's are an offroad kit...only smog friendly 1 3/4 shorties is slp
well,in my county, they just check for a cat, if that, and then put it on the sniffer (no ca smog ***** checking everything for a carb #)
in december actually, echeck is going away here so i can do whatever the heck i want really
only reason i'm still gonna get rk mids is because they're comparable to lt's and won't decrease my ground clearance or screw up the rest of my exhaust

thanks for the help guys
Old 03-27-2005, 10:39 AM

I used Accell Extreme 9000 wires and ran them almost in the stock locations. One thing I would recommend id replacing your motor mounts while you are putting on your headers, I didn't and the collector on the passenger side hits the front suspention when I get on it. I have new mounts waiting to be put in, but I have to remove the headers to do it. (not a lot of fun)
Old 03-27-2005, 10:42 AM

You can get the Felpro 1406's at Autozone, Advance, Pep Boys, etc. Also, while you're at the store, check out Mr Gasket Ultraseal gaskets for the haeder to y-pipe connection. I've had the best luck with them (stay away from the dead soft aluminum ones - I blew both sides out inside of a month). I run RK's too, btw
Old 03-27-2005, 11:11 AM

you know the part # on those mr. gasket gaskets?
o, and you know if the 1409 felpros are good? i think i searched a post that said they worked better than the 1406s on rksports/as&m

o, and is replacing the motor mounts a good idea on a 50k mile car?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
you know the part # on those mr. gasket gaskets?
o, and you know if the 1409 felpros are good? i think i searched a post that said they worked better than the 1406s on rksports/as&m

o, and is replacing the motor mounts a good idea on a 50k mile car?
Not sure on the Ultraseals, but I believe they're 2.5".

I got a set of 1409's once to check them out against the RK headers. Dunno who said 1409's matched up, but they were waaaaay off! 1406's are the way to go. They have a metal center so if you want to match them to the header shape, a little trimming with a dremel and about 15 minutes will do the job.

Motor mounts wouldn't hurt. It's up to you though, you have to check to see if they're shot or getting close.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:21 AM

thanks again man
i'll have to start writing down all these parts and #s
i'll take a look at those motor mounts while i'm at it too
just trying to stay on the budget you know?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:35 PM

I'm in the process of installing RK's once I get my heads back from the machine shop. Im doing the 94-95 style on my 96. I bought ovc wires because I don't see how the stock location can be better. Stock location actually kinda sucks when it comes time to change wires. I've done it twice and both times it was a pita.

Quick Reply: rk sport questions