LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rewiring my 94 Z28.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 10:44 AM

Rewiring my 94 Z28.

I want to rewire most of my car, and get some stuff out of the way. Like running all the wires, but getting them totally out of my way.

I just want to know if I can hook anything up to the fuse box. Exterior lights, interior lights, dash lights, window motors, etc. Any wiring that can be removed that isn't required for the car to work, I want removed too. I want a very clean car.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:53 AM

holy crap there are way too many wires to just go deleting stuff. the easiest way would be to start fresh on a bare rolling chasis and start wiring up that way. and even then only on a drag car id do it. is this gonna be a street car? you also have to use the proper automotive guage wire, a shor could start a fire and destroy the car. unless you know lots about wiring your in way over your head.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:51 AM

Well uhhh... yeah.. heheheh.. I'd like to pretty much tear the car down to a shell, put a new transmission and engine in, rewire everything; pretty much build a new car.

I can't exactly afford to do ALL that right now, but I just wanted to know what I could do to make all those clusters of wire a little more... understandable, or organized? I mean, I hate looking underneath my dash and in my doors, and seeing 1000 different color wires, with all that messy black tape, when only maybe 3 or 4 need to be there to run my window motor. I just wanted to rewire all of the stuff that can be messed with, and get all that wiring out of the way of the major junk, so that when I CAN afford to redo the rest of the car, I can just rip everything out without having to think about what's what. I'll know what I've done, and know what I haven't touched. And besides, there's never anything to do here, so I need some sort of project.

I dunno. Maybe I'm getting into something I shouldn't, but I don't have anything else to do. So if you can help me and let me know how some of this works, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:05 PM

If you are not stripping it to be a race car, all the wiring pretty much needs to be there. Yeah, there might be a component or two that you might remove that no longer needs the wiring, but you are looking at an involved project that is not going to yield much in the results-to-effort category. A lot of the engine wiring is in covoluted tubing and that is all you see. It really makes no difference if there is one wire or twenty-five inside it, you only see "one" of the tubing.

If you are dead set on removing stuff, you better have some wiring diagrams before you start.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:07 PM

Where can I get a wire diagram?
Old 12-13-2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by PsychoJavexx
Where can I get a wire diagram?
There are some online sources like here, but a factory manual (people often call them a Helms (which is the printer/publisher)), IMO, is the best/easiest to read and has the most info. Other manuals like Haynes and such are available, too.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:17 PM

Wow. Thanks a lot. I can read that perfect. That's awesome. I'm gonna look for a manual for my car probably, so I can carry it around with me.