LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Reverse swing belt tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 08:03 PM

Reverse swing belt tensioner?

I have an LT1 in my '62 International truck, using the F-body accessory bracket. I originally set it up with a low mount alternator only bracket, but it created some clearance issues, and was in the way of flying debris off road.

I put the factory F-body accessory bracket back on last night, along with an AC delete pulley. For right now, I'm going to continue running it as alternator only, as I have a manual steering box in the truck, but will be converting to power steering next year.

I found that I can route the belt starting at the top of the crank pulley, down under the tensioner, up and around the alternator, down under the AC pulley, and back to the crank pulley with plenty of clearance under the tensioner....but the tensioner goes the wrong way for this. It's providing force in a counter clockwise direction, but for this route I need the tensioner to provide force in a clockwise direction.

Are there any off the shelf tensioners I can get in there to do this? If need be, I do have a couple spare pumps, so I can gut one to use as a pulley, but putting on a different tensioner does seem like a simpler method.