LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Resurfacing an LT1 flywheel ? Good or not so good ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 07:44 PM

Resurfacing an LT1 flywheel ? Good or not so good ?

I am getting ready to convert my 96 Impala SS from an A4 to a M6.

I have the entire setup from a '96 Firebird, it looks pretty good except it has 90k milies on everything.

The only item I 'm not sure about is the flywheel. It looks good, no overheating, no gouges etc. Looks well treated. BUT... I want to resurface it, and 'hear' that resurfacing an LT1 flywheel isn't a good idea.

I don't mind purchasing a new flywheel. No big deal at this point. But is it really a bad idea to resurface the flywheel just a LITTLE ? Like maybe only .005 or so ?

Thanks in advance !

Gerry-
Old 11-18-2003, 07:50 PM

no problem getting it surfaced just dont drill holes in it to lighten it thats what whoever told you ment
Old 11-18-2003, 08:31 PM
96z

You can and its recommended to resurface it.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

A fly wheel is a flywheel. I just resurfaced mine your suppossed to every clutch change do see why it would be a bad ide...unless you got 400 for a Fidanza or something.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:05 PM

sounds like I thought.... thanks for the confirmations.

There are several aftermarket clutch/PP vendors that require the resurfacing to honor their warranty, so I figured something must be up....

Urban Legend ??

Old 11-19-2003, 01:08 AM

FWIW, i have resurfaced my stock LT1 flywheel 2 times already and I have 79,000 on the clock. No problems so far.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:37 PM

hsyr,

Thanks! This is what I've been thinking all along. Now to find a shop that knows how to do it.

I would think the surface needs to be of a certain texture or pattern or something ?? Just running it out on a lathe would make it look like a rotor when its done. Dunno if thats good or bad.

Sheesh, a new one from GM is like $181 from Dal Slabaugh. Almost tempted to just to it that way.... its a mere fraction of what this conversion is costing, and probably makes sense.

Decisions... decisions....

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Gerry-
Old 11-19-2003, 12:55 PM

I had my stocker resurfaced with about 90K miles on it. So far I have no problems.

Aaron
Old 11-19-2003, 01:38 PM

Just take the flywheel to any machine shop. They have the right machines to cut your flywheel. There is no special pattern either. I never had to pay $ to get mine cut because I knew the guy but he told me they usually charge $10 or $15 I can't remember If you are just going to buy a new one I'll give you $30 for your stocker
Old 11-19-2003, 01:43 PM

I had 15 thousandths taken off my stocker when I installed my SLP clutch, no problems after 10k (hard) miles
Old 11-19-2003, 03:05 PM

Greg,

Thanks for the spec on yours, now I know what might be the worst to expect. I think that this wheel can be cleaned up super easy, probably .005 or a little more. I'm going to be using a new GM LT4 pressure plate, and a new GM LT1 clutch disc. My Impala is only making 300 RWHP and 342 RWT, and I want it to be a smooth driver. I'm also putting in 4:56's at the same time, but mainly to even out the shifts, and ease up on the 1st gear takeoffs.... still should get about 2000 rpm at 70 mph with my 27 inch tall tires in 6th, which is more than enough.

The only hold back now is that I can't find any US made 4:56's with an ABS ready pinion. Any suggestions there ? Maybe that needs to be a separate topic.

Thanks for the huge amount of feedback guys, its really appreciated. Dispelling myths is always a good thing.

Gerry-

Last edited by Gerry; 11-19-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:23 PM

Gerry, I had heard lot's of people say you couldnt resurface them and some saying you could when I was getting mine done two years ago. I was a little suprised that they had to take off so much on mine, I was worried there would be a problem but it's been fine ever since. I bet that T56 swap along with the 4:56's will really get your Imp moving Good luck with it.
Gregg
Old 11-19-2003, 04:42 PM

Greg,

Always good to hear that someone has been across the same bridge. I have 'heard' both tales too, and don't really believe it. I can believe that if you take off too much yes, you will change the characteristics of the mass, the amount of adjustment you have etc. I'm already going with the McLeod LS1 adjustable master cylinder, and will use Aeroquip fittings between the two. The Impala needs a little longer hydraulic run than an F-body, so making a new hose makes sense. Also, most everyone with this Impala conversion that has experienced problems with the stock master cylinder, those problems go away with the McLeod master.

About 90 plus Impala's have been changed over at the moment, at least with the kit from Big Fast Car . The gent making this kit the last 2 years has gotten it quite complete. Add the tranny/bellhousing and clutch, his kit, and your're off!

They drive SWEET with the T56 and 4:56's. Oh yea! The kit even includes a professional makeover of the Impala center console, and it looks like like GM made it . Check out the pictures on that website. Also on my 13SecSS site

Gerry-

Last edited by Gerry; 11-19-2003 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:56 PM

Just get a remanufactured flywheel, when i did my clutch i got one and it was 40 bucks after the core charge. Def the way to go.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:03 PM

Reman'd ? I haven't looked around for one, but I think the local AC/Delco warehouse should be able to do this for me.

Now thats a good idea. That way AC/Delco would stand behind it. One of our local Impala club members is their outside sales guy, and we have a club account with them. They treat us very good.

Sure am glad I posted this. Getting all sorts of good ideas.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Resurfacing an LT1 flywheel ? Good or not so good ?