LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

rebuilding engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:47 PM

rebuilding engine

So my friend is rebuilding my LT1 and teaching me stuff in the process. Basically the reason for the rebuild happened when we where performing a cam swap and the factory cams back journal had a good size nick in it and it tore up every cam bearing on the way out. We also hooked the leak down tester up and it was determined i had 1 bad exhaust valve, and either a bunch of bad piston rings or bad cylinders. Thankfully it was just the rings. So now we are going to rebuild this motor. I am on a small budget. Most of the essentials have taken up a majority of my budget. I have a goal of making at least 350 RWHP on this car which has a 4L60E. My buddy does port heads and he is going to work on mine to get them to flow better. Im just wondering if there are any affordable things i can get to push a few extra ponys out of this car. Will a new coil offer any advantage?
Old 05-31-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Future_Z_Owner
So my friend is rebuilding my LT1 and teaching me stuff in the process. Basically the reason for the rebuild happened when we where performing a cam swap and the factory cams back journal had a good size nick in it and it tore up every cam bearing on the way out. We also hooked the leak down tester up and it was determined i had 1 bad exhaust valve, and either a bunch of bad piston rings or bad cylinders. Thankfully it was just the rings. So now we are going to rebuild this motor. I am on a small budget. Most of the essentials have taken up a majority of my budget. I have a goal of making at least 350 RWHP on this car which has a 4L60E. My buddy does port heads and he is going to work on mine to get them to flow better. Im just wondering if there are any affordable things i can get to push a few extra ponys out of this car. Will a new coil offer any advantage?
Before anyone can provide you with ANY information, you need to provide US with how much you have to spend. With a certain budget set, you will always be limited. We need to know what your limitations are.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM

Sorry, im trying to get a list of everything i have and have already ordered to post up. My budget is low now. Maybe $200 to spend.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Your going to have to spend most of what's left on a tune. Button it up, have it tuned, and save the spare change in case something goes wrong.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:26 PM

Alright thanks Injuneer
Old 05-31-2009, 07:27 PM

I'm confused. You say you're going to rebuild the motor - have you already acquired the parts and labor for free, or do you have a total of $200 to spend entirely?

Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM

I have already dumped 800 into the rebuild so far in parts and special machine shop work on the heads. Something to do with the valves to renew them, new valve guides, etc. I have all the required bearings, gaskets, rings, etc. I guess itll be a good idea to do new spark plug wires now, and a new coil.