LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Really need some Opti Help here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 08:10 PM

Exclamation Really need some Opti Help here...

Thanks to anyone who replys to this post. I need to know what a Opti is? and what it does. Also where is it located? I am having problems with it..I think...and I have to make a 3 hour trip this weekend. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know if you can get this part at autozone? Or other parts store? And is it easy to change? I am fairly mechanically inclined. Thanks Guys
Old 01-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

It's the Distributer...except it uses some opti-whatever spark setup...

It's behind your water pump right in the middle of your block.

Autozone sells rebuild kits for it I think...but it's an expensive part 200 used-600new!

Check "ebay" if you need a new one for best prices

as far as changing it out...takes a good day or two if you want to take your time...you'll have to remove your radiator system and flush the coolant and remove your water pump...it's directly behind there.

If you have an ignition related problem where the RPM band is rough. It might be a good thing to check out...
Old 01-27-2004, 08:44 PM

http://www.streetillusionsracing.com.../opti/opti.htm

this should give you step by step instructions...should take about a day with some help. NOt too hard, but takes awhile.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:47 PM

Thanks for your help guys. Cory
Old 01-27-2004, 08:50 PM

If you don't know what the optispark is, how do you know it is malfunctioning? LOL

The optispark is your distributor system. As was said above, it mounts to the front of the engine behind the water pump and is driven off the front of the cam through an opening in the timing cover.

THere are two parts to the opti. 1. is the cap/rotor and the other is the optical section.

it gets its name because it uses an LED to emit light which is sensed by an eye...between the two is a disk with slots in it, 360 of them. THe eye senses the pulses from the slots and that way the PCM knows the exact position of the crank/cam and therefore knows precisely when to fire the coil for proper spark distribution.

THe other side of it is like a traditional distributor, the cap & rotor. The only difference is no physical timing adjustment is possible, it all has to be done in the PCM.

THe opti is a pretty high-tech piece but it is fragile and poorly made. Water and moisture can kill them by causing corrosion in either part of it, and the cap/rotor wears out just like any other distributor, its just much harder to get out and more expensive to replace.

THat's it in a nutshell, I left out a lot of details but for a newb to the concept that should give you a good idea of the function of it.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:04 PM

600 new, dude if you pay that you are insane, i just bought abrand new opti from sam taylor cadaliac in flordia and payed 209 for the whole unit.

that is for the whole opti. 600 i think people who pay that are getting ripped off big time.

also it doesnt take up to 2 days depends how well and mechanicly inclined you are you can have it done in about 5 hours taking your time.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:12 PM

I purchased a new optispark for under $190 to my door, and can swap one out in less than 2 hours.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Originally posted by blazzinbird
600 new, dude if you pay that you are insane, i just bought abrand new opti from sam taylor cadaliac in flordia and payed 209 for the whole unit.

that is for the whole opti. 600 i think people who pay that are getting ripped off big time.

also it doesnt take up to 2 days depends how well and mechanicly inclined you are you can have it done in about 5 hours taking your time.

THe vented dyna spark versions can run up to $600.00 depending on where you get it from. I said $200 (-) $600.00 most guys get thiers around there not everyone can cop a deal on one of them...never seen one for less than $250.00 used..but if you see a vented kit for that price lemme know I'd like one in the future. It can be done in 1 day yes...but if your not familiar with the work and want to take your time and make sure everything is in right 2 days is a good way to go. unless you wanna bust an all nighter out.

Also...don't forget to get the little odds and ends dude...like the WP gaskets ETC.