LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Really bad water leak NEED HELP ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 05:18 AM

Really bad water leak NEED HELP ASAP!!

i just got my 96 z28 about 3 weeks ago and today I attempted to drive it the 380 miles to my sisters house along the way it started to leak coolant. I was having to stop and fill it to prevent overheat. The leak is from near the water pump but I can't pinpoint exactly where yet. I think it is my pump it self ut I dont know. anyway the big problem is I am far from my house and tools and I'm too broke to pay someone to do it. tomorrow I have to go back to where I left the car in gilroy ca. and try to figure the problem. If i try to change it myself what kind of mess am I getting myself into how long does it usually take and what typesw of tools are necessary? I have friends here so ill use their tools bbut I want to know what I am getting into. please help with any advice. I have done water pumps and things to other cars but this would be the first surgury I will perfome to the camaro.

Thanks Alot
Ed

ps I searched but could not find much.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:36 AM

If your sure it's the water pump, you'll have to line one of those up first, and make sure you get the gaskets too. If this is your first time, it'll probably take you an hour or so to take the old one off, and maybe that long to reassemble. I would pull out the air intake system(bellows, MAF, and CAI), take off the cooling fans(four bolts each), then unbolt the waterpump. It's been a few months since I've had the front of the motor apart, but if I'm not mistaken, you'll need to unbolt the powersteering pump mount bolts and coil bracket bolts to get it out. But this is something you can definately do yourself. Bring a decent set of deep and shallow sockets and get to work!

BTW-If your leaking coolant that fast, make double sure its not a hose!!! Warm the car up, that will put the cooling system under pressure, and should make a leak fairly obvious.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:04 PM

ttt anyone else have any advice???

Thanks josh!
Old 02-01-2003, 12:21 PM

damn, i hate when stuff like that happens. you might need a jack and some jackstands to get under the front of the car. you will need plenty of rags and towels. i would bet if its leaking that bad, it toasted your opti but we can worry about that later if its still running okay when you get your car home. lets hope that maybe you just blew a hose or something. its hard for me to imagine the water pump going out and leaking that bad. i've seen water pumps do that but not on these cars. you will need some good deep sockets, and something to scrape off the old gasket stuff. if you get a Fel-Pro gasket kit, it should come with the gasket sealer as well. does your car still have the air pump and all emissions stuff on it?

mike
Old 02-01-2003, 01:30 PM

I changed mine last fall, and I used my Hanes manual, and it got me through it okay. I would suggest picking one up for $15 first.

If not, you have to remove the cooling fans, air injection pump, air injection pump bracket since it covers a water pump bolt. Then remplace water pump and put everything back.

Doing anything for the first time and by yourself always takes longer. I would allow an afternoon. It is not bad at all, just a lot of bolts to take off.

PS. There is a weep hole in the bottom of the water pump. If you can put your finger on it. you should feel coolant dripping down. Mine dumped A TON of colant when it was bad. So it is possible.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:05 PM

Update!!!!

ok well I got back to the car today mooved the hoses and found the problem after removing the pump. the seal on the drive shat had been completely blown out!! I could actually see the bearings. So I got a new one and put it on.

since I'm new to the camaro Im going to assume that the Opti Spark is the think kinda under and behind of the water pump? right well water poured all over that thing repeatedly as I tried to limp it to my sisters yesterday but today I tred to keep as much water off of it as possible. But I know it did get drenched. The car still runs fine with the new pump installed but im wondering is it a guarantee the opti will die soon because it did get wet. are there signs to tell me the problem will be coming. I still have to get home. about 400 miles. im leaving tomorrow morning but what can I expect. is it going to for sure die??? please help guys im wondering if I should just leave the car here for a few days and let the dealer replace it and catch a plane ride home. but I really need to keep the cost down especially since it cost me a bout 200 for the pump and some tools I got today.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:28 PM

Cool, i'm glad to hear that you got it running. I guess you didn't have much trouble with the water pump? Usually when the opti starts to go or you have problems, you will develop a high rpm miss. But if you aren't having any problems yet, I wouldn't worry about it. I have seen them just go out suddenly but usually it is a slow process.

mike
Old 02-01-2003, 11:47 PM

Dude I think you got very very lucky!