LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Real LT1 SS owners inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:02 AM

Real LT1 SS owners inside

Need some help...

I have an aftermarket SS hood (FFI), that is not functional at the moment. I do however have an airbox for it. I want to modify my hood to make it functional, but I have been unable to locate pics of a real SS hood (or even aftermarket) of the underside where the filter mates to the scoop area when closed.

If anyone could take a pic of the cutout underneath and email it to me it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:05 AM

Re: Real LT1 SS owners inside

Originally posted by Bralgar
Need some help...

I have an aftermarket SS hood (FFI), that is not functional at the moment. I do however have an airbox for it. I want to modify my hood to make it functional, but I have been unable to locate pics of a real SS hood (or even aftermarket) of the underside where the filter mates to the scoop area when closed.

If anyone could take a pic of the cutout underneath and email it to me it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have a real SS, but I do have a functional SS hood...I can try and take some pics later today and then put them on my website...I will let you know
Old 07-30-2003, 10:10 AM

Did you try Brents site?Just a thought.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:14 AM

Yes, Joe, I am a big fan of Brent's site, searched it. I am really surprised he does not have this in his fix it guide. Maybe I'll do a write up of mine and sednd it to him If I get it done.

CeeBee, yes definately let me know when you have them posted! Thanks.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:21 AM

I dont have a cam,or I would try to help.All that it has is a seal in a U shape with the open end forward.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:28 AM

I can sort of visualize that, Joe, but how does the 'open' end seal? And also are there any baffles anywhere, water would be my biggest concern. I try not to drive it in the rain but, surprises happen.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:31 AM

Brent had quite a few pics of the underside hood of his yellow SS. I'd e-mail him and ask him about them
Old 07-30-2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Bralgar
I can sort of visualize that, Joe, but how does the 'open' end seal? And also are there any baffles anywhere, water would be my biggest concern. I try not to drive it in the rain but, surprises happen.
I kinda wondered how the open end sealed too, it is hard to see how it seals with the hood on the car obviosuly, so I can only assume that it fits snugly against the air box...

On a side note how do you like the Kuhmo MX's? I was thinking about getting those since they are cheap, but I also like the Firehawk sz50's which have really good dry traction ratings...
Old 07-30-2003, 10:34 AM

The front doesnt seal,its exposed to the air coming in from the scoop.I should try to seal the underside.Yes there are baffles in the hood scoop.the air does this ~.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by CeeBee94Z
On a side note how do you like the Kuhmo MX's? I was thinking about getting those since they are cheap, but I also like the Firehawk sz50's which have really good dry traction ratings...
Visually they are stunning, really love the looks of them. Performance wise I'm not sure yet. I have been taking it easy on my car since getting them (2 weeks ago) since I found out my outer tierods are bad . Been driving like a grandpa.
I would drive my truck but It suddenly developed a rack leak, tensioner breakage, and parking brake hung up, all about the same time. And I have no time to fix any of it. This weekend though the Z is getting fixed, I'll let the truck sit.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:49 AM

The scoop, of course, is not a sealed "ram air" setup. It is just positioned such that outside air can be drawn in by the openfaced filter.

The SS box "sort of" seals to the hood when closed on the back and sides. The front is open, which in addition to allowing air to be sucked in through the scoop, also allows some under-the-hood air to also enter.

This is probably just in case the scoop becomes clogged, however, I believe that you should try to seal as much of the under area under the front of the box as you can to keep the warm air from infecting the outside air.

You can put some double sided tape on the top of your air box lid and close the hood so that the box lid sticks to the underside of the hood to see just where the box hits the scoop area.

Once you see where it contacts, get some rubber seal strips and glue them on the underside of the hood so that when the hood is closed it seals ( as best you can) the back and sides of the filter lid.

As for the front, you might try putting some rubber sealer strips on the front of the lid to keep some of the under-the-hood air from entering. JMHO
Old 07-30-2003, 12:08 PM

You will probably have to get some rubber/foam strips about 1" thick (or get the actual seal from SLP) to do the job. However for placement, I'd first follow my suggested procedure by sticking the seal to the top of the airbox lid with 3-m double-sided foam tape and see where it sticks to the scoop area so that you can best direct the incoming air to the filter.

I first used the K & N filter (jeep) until Holley came out with a Power Shot that fits and is more rigid because the pleats are vertical rather than horizontal like the K&N.

Good Luck.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:13 PM

Check my site in the sig. There should be some pic's of the hood.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:31 PM

You have a lot of nice pics of the air box, Chris, but I didn't see any of the underside of the hood in detail.

Awesome car you have there though.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:52 PM

ill get some pics tonight. i put a strip of foam tape on the front of the scoop were it meets the airbox to seal it and it seems to work.