LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Reading Scan9495(V6)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Reading Scan9495(V6)

Long time driver, first time problems.

Hello everyone. I can usually find what I'm looking for with some searching. I'm giving up and posting.

Any Good guides on how to read what I'm seeing from FreeScan.

I see a mod here has a good write up on it but just keep finding old posts that says to PM him. I'm thinking at some point something was posted. Maybe not. Any help to a good guide would be great.

While I'm here my problem. Can't get past the smog test. Hydrocarbons are high at idle. New plugs, wires, general tune up, fixed some questionable grounds , compression test good, can't identify and vacum leaks, It seems like there is a missfire.

Service engine light is off.
In history I found
Cam signal missing
TPS Voltage Low
IAT Low
IC3x Signal error

The thing that first caught my eye was " Cam Signal Missing " light is going on and off. Not at a steady rate, random and constant. Cam sensor wires were hammered. With new sensor I see the same toggling of the sensor of FreeScan. IS This Normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Now I'm going to have to find a pict for the profile
Old 04-02-2017, 12:08 PM

re: Reading Scan9495(V6)

I think you may want to add a signature with this and for upcoming threads. It is needed because of the variables from year to year. What may appear to be the same may not be at all.

Right now no one can tell what vehicle you need help with.

Click on this link to add your signature...

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/

Last edited by gaedbo; 04-02-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Sounds like it may be a V6. And assuming you are referring to the V6 version of Scan9495, not "FreeScan".
Old 04-02-2017, 03:31 PM

My bad that would help I guess. I made a signature not showing up when I refresh the page, Maybe needs a new posting?

Car in question is a 95 Camaro, V6 3.4L , automatic trans, all stock with the exception of a K and N air filter.

I did find the pages of information that was referenced in couple old threads. Turn out they are the instructions and just some generals found in the download section with Scan9495-V^6 , called it freescan above my bad. Was still early.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Administrator

I have a 20+ page writeup on reading and interpreting scan data, but it is specific to the LT1 V8. A lot of differences compared to the 3.4L V6.

If you want, you can upload your data log .csv file in a post, or a link to a site where I can download it, and I will take a look at it when I can. I'm retired, but right now I have a consulting project, and it's income tax time, so spare time is limited.

I have only looked at a few V6 logs, and I believe it's normal for the flag that indicates the "cam signal" to be intermittent. I can check one of my earlier review logs. The author of the Scan9495 programs is aware of the issue also, as I recall.

ScanMaster writeup, but won't be very useful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Scanmster.pdf (143.7 KB, 177 views)
Old 04-02-2017, 08:11 PM

Thanks so much. That does give me some baseline information. Trying to figure it out individually is going to be a pain. At least a place to start for a more in depth understanding.

I'm hoping right now that it was the cam sensor. Going into the top the wires had had it and were showing copper. The miss is small and I swear intermittent. The wife says it sounds better and is idling lower. My hearing is not what it use to be.

I attached what I think is a short scan before the sensor was changed. Really thought I had it when I saw that cam light blinking.

I have a scanned saved, I'm not sure if it's before or after the cam sensor change. I also do not want to waste anyone's time if this is fixed. I'm going to take it over to the smog shop this week and will run a recording. If it fails again I may come looking for some more info. Maybe my shop can shed some light on the #'s now. Hopefully the cam sensor was the problem

Thanks for all your time and that document.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:11 PM

Well known bug or not I'm hoping it led me in the right direction. My HC at idle was up around 2500 ppm with a limit of 250. Retesting took me down to around 800-1000 fluctuating. Due to running rich I think it killed the cat, new one is on the way.

I did pull some info from the shop
Injector pulse width at idle is 4.6mS with the HO2 sensor reading 0.9V and fuel trims low.
MAP sensor normal value at idle 1.5 volts
TPS normaly 0.5 volts closed throttle.

My laptop battery is toast so I need to run it on a power convertor in the car that also wasn't cooperating. Will get a driving scan one day when I'm legal again in two weeks once it's legal again.

Thanks for the help again.