LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Random Rear Brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 07:33 AM

Random Rear Brake noise

I have this screaching..squeaking noise from my rear brakes. It happends when I brake soft or hard..when its soft it makes the loud screach...hard they squeak. I have looked at the break pads through the wheel well..and that dont look that worn from what I can see. I really didnt want to go out and spend $50 on break pads if it didnt need them..any other suggestions..thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 07:42 AM

Are you running any kind of special pads (Hawk, EBC)...they are known to squeak and squeal a little.

If not here are some other thoughts:

- The rear calipers are known to hang up if the guide pins get dirty or a seal cracks...I had this happen and it wore the inside pad down to the metal, while the outside pad was fine. I just replaced the pads and greased the guide pins real well and and has been fine since.

- They also sell some special gel substance that you put between the pad and the caliper that helps prevent squeaking. Some pads will actually have a thin metal strip on the back of the pad or even a stick on pad that comes with them to help with brake squeak as well.

Good Luck
Old 07-23-2003, 07:43 AM

Do any powerbrakes lately? maybe you've glazed your pads (edit* errrr i meant rotors). Usually if you glaze your pads eventually it will get better. Or you could lightly sand everything with really fine grit and make it better. You have to be carefull to keep everythign flat thoguh.

I would take a wheel off and be sure none of them are down to the squealers.

Sometimes just brake cleaner helps.

good luck.

brent

Last edited by 94formulabz; 07-23-2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:00 PM

ok...so I took off all the tires...and all the pads look fine...not worn at all..but not brand new looking either. I have no clue what else it could be. I guess I will try some brake cleaner and go from there. My brakes work fine its just damn annoying. Oh and one more thing...it doesnt happen all the time..for instance my 20 minute drive home from work it didnt do it at all. But after going for a drive just not too long ago it did.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:51 PM

Do you get any squealing when you turn a corner?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:58 PM

nah for some reason it seems if im hitting the brakes when my tires are turned a lot it doesnt do it at all...
Old 07-23-2003, 08:20 PM

The rear brake pads usually do not have a perfect fit in the rear calipers. Go to a local automotive store such as pep boys and by a set of rear brake pad shims made by raybestos and install them inbetween the brake pads and calipers. I used to have the same problem with squeeling untill I started using these shims.

They also sell a substance in a spray can that you spray on the outside of the pads to stop squeeling, but the shims would probably be the better choice.

This is providing you do not have any problems with the calipers rubbing the rotors or any other problems with the rear brake set up.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:25 PM

Benny Boy: "Do you get any squealing when you turn a corner?"

That is what mine are doing, sharp left turns ... Do have a comment for your question?

My rear brake pads are a few months old and just started doing this. Hi temp silicon on the back of the pads didn't help. Thanks!

Wade