LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Radiator Hose Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 PM

Radiator Hose Problem

This is kind of long. Two weeks ago, I changed out a faulty water pump that I bought and changed last summer. As I was pulling the water pump out, I bent the PCM connection to the Opti and didn't realize it. After I got everything put back together, the car was in a no fire condition. So, after seeing no spark from the coil, I realized that it was a PCM connection, and thats when I saw the opti PCM connection was broke, so I bought a new Opti and put everything back togehter and the car ran great for a week. Until, this last Friday, the car was setting in the driveway at operating temp, and all of a sudden the hose came undone that connects to the bottom of the radiator. I clamped it down really tight filled it with coolant again, and bled the lines. Then, yesterday, the car did the same thing again as I was leaving my apartment. So my friend and I this morning put two clamps on the hose, and filled it with coolant and bled the lines. Car was running great for about two hours, then same thing sitting in the drive way at idle, and the hose blew off again. So I went and bought a new hose, and radiator cap. Replaced hose, filled car with coolant, and as I was bleeding the line while the car was running and all of a sudden it died. Now, the car again is in a no fire conditon. So, I pretty sure my Opti got runied due to all the coolant, but some please give me some ideas on why that hose keeps blowing off. I reallly need the help, I'm getting pretty fresterated. Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:04 AM
Banned

Re: Radiator Hose Problem

Is the fitting on the rad smooth or does it have a hump around 3/8" back from the end.
If it's got a hump the hose clamp has to go behind the hump and be tight.Get clamps with hex heads on them and tighten them with a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket.
If that's not it,I haven't got a clue-- never seen it happen before.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:30 AM

yeah, it has a little ridge, and I put two hex head clamps on it to where I could not pull it off by pulling on it. Yet like I said, later on yesterday, it blew off again from the radiator. So I went and bought a new hose and cap, but while I was bleed the lines I had the car running and it died, and wont start. It seems like I have a pressure problem of some sort. I'm kind of stuck and don't know really what to to do next. Could the radiator cap cause this to happen? I don't have any fluid or water in my oil, and I don't have any white smoke coming out of the car. The car has been running great except for the hose coming off.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:17 AM

get some Samco hoses

you will never have that problem again. They are high quality rigid hoses rather than the flimsy stock ones.

im betting if you buy one of those it will never happen again (as long as its installed correctly )
Old 02-07-2006, 12:05 PM

Were can I get a Samco hose at?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:21 AM

did you install a BRAND NEW water pump? It sounds to me like you have a restriction somewhere thats causing pressure to build up, this "samco" hose may or may not solve the problem.
It should not be happening in the first place so you need to find the problem and deal with that.
Is the car running hot at all? Does the car get to operating temp when this happens or does it do it cold?
New radiator cap is a good call but since the water pump is the only thing you changed when this problem started I would take a good hard look at the pump.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:30 AM

http://www.samcosport.com/us/home.asp
Old 02-08-2006, 09:36 AM

Yes, this is a brand New water pump. The one that I bought in July this last year was deffective and I just replaced a week ago. The car ran great for a week after I installed it. Yes, the car's temp seems to be running ok, and the fans have been kicking on like they should around 223 or so. I just got the cap tested, and it was ok. I bought a new thermastat and new hose, and a new cap. I'm going to have the tank pressure checked today. If it doesn't hold pressure I think I have a head problem. I sure hope not. My car really doesn't have any symtons. I don't have any power loss, no coolant in the oil, no gasses coming from the radiator when cap is off, and no white smoke out the exhaust. Any suggestions why the hose just comes off.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:02 AM

The bottom hose on the radiator is the feed from the engine. The radiator may be clogged or you got one heck of an air bubble in the system. I'd open the radiator cap first(not after it's hot) and see if the coolant starts to flow out as it warms up. If so, the rad's probably all right, just need to bleed the air out of the system via the two bleed screws.
Doug
Old 02-08-2006, 11:56 PM

Its a long shot but your tube that the radiator hose goes onto isn,t bent in anywhere is it? Didn,t stick a screwdriver in there to pry the hose off?
I am fishing here, if everything checks out ok, its a mystery.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by multicar
The bottom hose on the radiator is the feed from the engine. The radiator may be clogged or you got one heck of an air bubble in the system. I'd open the radiator cap first(not after it's hot) and see if the coolant starts to flow out as it warms up. If so, the rad's probably all right, just need to bleed the air out of the system via the two bleed screws.
Doug
I was thinking a flow problem also which is causing pressure to build up and making that hose blow off. Get the radiator checked. Also, the t-stat you got is the correct one for our cars?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:01 AM

Yes, I have the correct stat, I have a 160 and 180 stat that I switch out during the year. I bought a new 180 stat. The hose isn't bent. Today the radiator is going to get pressure tested. I guess I will go from there.