LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Quick RR adjustment Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 PM

Quick RR adjustment Question.

I just put some new springs and some SA 1.6 RR I was going to adjust them with the car running, but was wondering how tight i should tighten them before I started the car thanks.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 PM

You should do the normal engine off method first.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You should do the normal engine off method first.
Very much agreed. However I've always just set them to zero lash and then started it instead of putting anything on the adjustment past lash.
If you just tighten the rockers where they sit and start the engine you can get some ugly noises as well as valves hanging open. Not a good idea.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:49 PM

Thanks guys I used method 2 on shobox's site then started the car it was pretty close but now it awesome very quiet. Thanks alot
Old 05-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Ok now im having a problem my rockers nut keep loosening up...and it getting really have to take the alternator off, and put it back on it run the car with the valve covers off to re-adjust them this is the thrid time i've thought it was ok them i go to drive the car and they loosen up using after giving it a decent amount of throttle after they are ticking. Last time it was only one that caused the ticking, but all the polylocks on the passenger side were loose. The drivers side was fine. I don't know how much more I can tighten the locks, unless I need to tighten the nut more? god this is annoying if anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:17 PM

The way I made sure my poly locks were tight is to set the rocker to 0 lash, tighten it 1/8 of a turn, tighten the set screw and then tighten the nut another 1/8 of a turn. I'm not sure it's right, but it's worked for me so far.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:55 PM

If the top of your rocker studs are crowned, the lock nut will have a hard time staying tight.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
If the top of your rocker studs are crowned, the lock nut will have a hard time staying tight.
not sure what crowned means but, theres a nut and a allen key thing in the center. I'm going out to try it again if its the same rocker on number 8 thats loose again..then I guess I'm just going to re-lash it and do a 1/2 turn or maybe a 3/4 turn on it maybe I didn't tighten it enough last time, but im pretty sure I did and all the other rockers seem to be ok.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:37 AM

Oh and before I start again is it possible to get the passenger valve cover off with taking the alternator off?
Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by camarozz95
Oh and before I start again is it possible to get the passenger valve cover off with taking the alternator off?
You would think so but I couldn't get it. it does suck to take it off, remove the covers, then put it back on so you can start the car (without valve covers)

here's my writeup with a vid, i just like showing it off. hope it helps a bit.
http://home.comcast.net/~nstama/rock...er_install.htm
Old 05-03-2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
You would think so but I couldn't get it. it does suck to take it off, remove the covers, then put it back on so you can start the car (without valve covers)

here's my writeup with a vid, i just like showing it off. hope it helps a bit.
http://home.comcast.net/~nstama/rock...er_install.htm
yeah your thread you made a couple of days ago is what made me want to install my springs and rockers they have been sitting in my closet for awhile, but anyways I think I got them good this time everything has been ok so far now. Its very quiet like yours also I've got the Crower 1.6 SA rockers. lets hope everything stays in order this time haha.

oh btw what times are you running with your car?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by camarozz95
not sure what crowned means but, theres a nut and a allen key thing in the center. I'm going out to try it again if its the same rocker on number 8 thats loose again..then I guess I'm just going to re-lash it and do a 1/2 turn or maybe a 3/4 turn on it maybe I didn't tighten it enough last time, but im pretty sure I did and all the other rockers seem to be ok.
The stud thing that your "nut and a allen key thing" tighten on is the part that shoebox is referring to.The top of the stud that the allen screw "jams" against could be "rounded" or not flat on the top. If it were flat it would have a better surface to lock against allowing the allen screw to make full contact .
Are you using the stock studs? ARP studs?