LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Question about gear install kit and rear end cover/girdle...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 08:38 PM

Question about gear install kit and rear end cover/girdle...

for the ring and pinion installation kit, will any brand work well (like Ratech from Thunder Racing.com or SLP's kit from Tbyrne motorsports.com)? i know i need the Solid Pinion Spacer (Crush Collar) w/ shim kit, but besides that are all the manufacturer's mostly the same?

also, considering the modifications listing in my signature along with the new 4.10 gears and 275 street tires, do i need to get a T/A Rear end cover/girdle? what will the benefits be?
thanks much guys.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:42 PM

I'm running the TR kit.

Most of the install kits are similar, the one that comes with this kit is good, but I don't know about the Richmond kits.

The Girdle Cover strengthens the bearing caps and keeps them from deflecting too much. It's a nice thing due to the weak 10 bolt rearends these cars, every little bit helps.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:33 PM

ttt
Old 06-19-2003, 12:28 AM

These kits should all be the same. There are some larger kits for rebuilding the entire rear axle which also include the wheels bearings and seals. Other than that they should be comparable, containing new ring gear bolts, crush collar, gasket, pinion seal, pinion nut, carrier bearings/races, and pinion bearings/races (think I got everything!)

The Ratech solid pinion spacer (which replaces the crush sleave), purchased seperately, is highly recommended.

The girdle's purpose is to help prevent carrier deflection at the bearings. If the carrier deflects it can change the contact patch between the ring and pinion gears. I have yet to see any data that proves it's an effective mod but most people feel that it can't hurt and the POS 10 bolt could use any help possible.