LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pulling motor out the bottom...A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:49 PM

Pulling motor out the bottom...A few questions

Real close to pulling the motor out the bottom. Got some questions.

1. I bought a ATV jack to go under the K-member and I will use a floor jack under the tranny. The car is at just the maximum height for the ATV jack so I am going to use both jacks to lower the K-memeber and the tranny. Is this the way you guys are doing it?

2. After I have done step #1 and if I need to raise the entire car up higher to slide the K-member with engine out from under , can I place a jack under the metal support under the radiator, is that cross member strong enough to support the weight of the car?

3. Does the sway bar need to come out?

Thanks all.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:57 PM

1. I bought a ATV jack to go under the K-member and I will use a floor jack under the tranny. The car is at just the maximum height for the ATV jack so I am going to use both jacks to lower the K-memeber and the tranny. Is this the way you guys are doing it?
Yeah, that will work. Just make sure the car is high enough.

2. After I have done step #1 and if I need to raise the entire car up higher to slide the K-member with engine out from under , can I place a jack under the metal support under the radiator, is that cross member strong enough to support the weight of the car?
I wouldn't use that support, but I can't say for sure if it will hold the weight. If you have a strut tower brace, you might consider using an engine hoist to lift the car higher. Check out a thread I posted a while ago for some pics using the engine hoist:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473472

3. Does the sway bar need to come out?
Yes.

Last edited by 97bowtie; 10-30-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:58 PM

1. Yes, thats what I did

2. No, I wouldent suggest that you do that... I would make 2x4 stacks and use jackstands on top of that and place them behing the front wheels (Do a search for pics)

3. Yes it makes it easier
Old 10-30-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
I wouldn't use that support, but I can't say for sure if it will hold the weight. If you have a strut tower brace, you might consider using an engine hoist to lift the car higher.
Here is where my problem lies. I have the wheels off so that buys me some clearance. Unfortunately I dont have a cherry picker or a srut tower brace. Also a hoist is a no go. I am also down to bare block so that helps.

If the member under the radiator cant become jacking point with a 2x4 to distribute the weight with full engine and K-member out I will have to just raise the height from the side bit by bit.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:47 PM

happen to be anywhere near detroit, mi?

if so I can bring over a cherry picker
Old 10-30-2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
happen to be anywhere near detroit, mi?

if so I can bring over a cherry picker
Im in central KY, thank you very much for the offer.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:10 PM

#1. I just left the wheels on. Much easier. No jack needed under the k-member.

#2. Yes as long as you are not picking up the weight of the engine, too. Leave the k-member and wheels on the ground and jack the body off of it.

#3. Sway bar must be disconnected from the body.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
#1. I just left the wheels on. Much easier. No jack needed under the k-member.

#2. Yes as long as you are not picking up the weight of the engine, too. Leave the k-member and wheels on the ground and jack the body off of it.

#3. Sway bar must be disconnected from the body.
Yep,

I place one jack in the center of the cradle. After everything is disconnected, I lower the car with another jack as low as it will go, keeping a floor jack under th ecenter of the cradle. I then unbolt the 6 cradle bolts, then jack each side of the body up evenly, meaning jack up one side some..set a jack stand then switch the jack to th eother side then jack. Once you jack the body enough for the engine to clear, permanently set the stands in place then position the other jack under the tranny. Roll the assembly out with the one under the cradle, and th eother jack under the tranny.

Some people use dollys, some people use a chain pull or lift and use a chain across both strut towers to lift th ebody. it can work in a variety of ways .
Old 10-31-2006, 06:46 PM

Well it dropped out the bottom with out a single glitch plus I had to do the entire thing beginning to end by my self.

I used an ATV jack under the K-memeber and the floor jack under the tranny. Definitely a time consuming process but not very hard.

Thanks to all for the good advice.