LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pro's & Con's of porting the LT1/LT4 intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 01:06 PM

From the advice of a reputable porter down here in Texas, I raised the roofs enough to get rid of the "bulge" that is cast in the stock intake. I did not gasket match...

I will have a different combo, so I will have no before/after numbers for comparisons sake. I'm not sure why I'm even posting other than to hear myself think .

Ryan
Old 05-16-2004, 01:47 PM

1racerdude

Sent you pm about the ported LT4 intake.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:53 PM

these heads/intake should be going on my car here shortly. We are trying to find a stock non ported lt4 intake to test on the dyno. Really don't know what good it would do since it won't even be port matched and as you can see by texlurchs pics its gonna be way off. My heads/intake are also ported to the performance parts gasket..not the stock lt4 one. But...we would like to at least test it to see the gains if any. Some time after that we are going to be putting a converted single plane intake on my car and will have test results for that over a welded/ported lt4.

Anyone interested in these results?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by SStrokerAce
...but the more important feature is the runner length and area, that will make or break the power curve vs. the flow. If you can get both, well that's going to make you even more power.
Such great content, with such few words.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by 95Bird
Anyone interested in these results?
Certainly, but unfortunate, the comparison is apples to oranges (proportion/dimension wise.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:35 PM

Thumbs up

Apples, oranges, pears or grapefruit.... I would still like to see those results.

Even considering a GM single-plane/4bbl TB swap for mine here in the near future. Now talk about fruit... guess I'll just have to keep those results to myself.

-Mindgame
Old 05-17-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by arnie
Such great content, with such few words.
What's that supposed to mean?

I've been talking with some people about intake designs and the LS1 which has about 3.5-4 times more runner length and more cross sectional area, flows like crap but even with a flow increase it's not going to gain a ton, and if you traded off runner length to gain flow it's going to kill the TQ curve enough not to do it.

I would rather have crappy flow and the right runner sizes, than awesome flow. Hopefully the two intakes I am working on for the LT will work out the way I want them too and be worth the time, effort and money to go to them, I'm thinking they will but only good dyno numbers will tell. Bad thing for MG is that it's not going to be a bolt up to his 15 Deg GM heads :-(

Bret
Old 05-17-2004, 09:36 PM

Bret any tips on what you are working on, and cost
Old 05-17-2004, 09:43 PM

What's that supposed to mean?
It means I agree with you. More plenum area, and longer runner length. Did ya think I was being sarcastic?

I've been talking......not to do it.

I would rather have crappy flow and the right runner sizes, than awesome flow.

Oh, I understood what YOU stated.

Edit: The sophisticated variable, on the fly tuning the europeans are doing to present oem intakes, has little to do with ultimate flow, afaic.

Last edited by arnie; 05-17-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:18 PM

any word yet on those dyno results that we were promised earlier? i am interested to see what the outcome is...
Old 05-17-2004, 10:33 PM

I think the test is relevant even though it is apples to oranges. There are alot of people considering this swap and we have no hard numbers that I know of showing if its worth it or not.

Sleeper...if your talking to me..no. The heads should be back next week so maybe in a couple of weeks we can have some results for ya. As soon as we do some testing i will post the results. The converted single plane will be a good bit after that but I hope to have it tested before the thunder shootout this year and see if I get any gains from it.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Schurters LT1
Bret any tips on what you are working on, and cost
Well one of the Mods and I are doing a bolt in setup over the next few weeks. Basically double the runner length, keep the LT1 style setup and enlarge the pleanum, I just have to do about 30hours worth of work on the dam thing to get it fit under the stock hood. Hopefully there will be really good results from it, but I'm not saying any more than that untill it's done.

The good thing about a better intake setup is that they will make power and TQ like a 383 and you can still use the LT1 castings, and it will cost less than a stroker short block, bad thing is that it's 30hours of my labor. :-( Good for me bad for you. Hopefully I can do it in less time than that. I did some sim runs on it and we are talking about 50 average HP and 50 Average TQ from 3200-6800 on a head cam car, that's a freaking ton, and "could" get some LT1's into LS1 land.

Bret
Old 05-18-2004, 01:37 AM

I did some sim runs on it and we are talking about 50 average HP and 50 Average TQ from 3200-6800 on a head cam car, that's a freaking ton
Bret
I love when HP is measured in tons.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by SLeePer350
I love when HP is measured in tons.
any price on that badboy, ANY pic's of the badboy..

Side note: Bret still thinking of cam but solid....just reading up...i will send you a PM when it is time...thx
Old 05-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

Well it's going to cost more than a well done LT4 intake ($450 for the work, $250 for the core = $700 for a LT4), but since this setup is going to need the core intake, the injector rails and a good amount of machining, fabricating and welding I'm not sure yet. I'm guessing $1000-$1500 because it's going to take a lot of work. Then again with $1500 you can't do a proper 383, plus the intake is going to work well with LT1 heads, where a 383 should have LT4, AFR or TFS heads on it. The ability for this thing to improve the TQ curve is what I am after, if it adds 40hp too, that's great but the extra 50ft lbs is what I'm really after with this, and I think it could do both.

No pics of a finished one yet. I'm not giving out pics of a unfinished one unless you are the guy who owns it.

Bret

Quick Reply: Pro's & Con's of porting the LT1/LT4 intake