LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

In the process of M6 conversion. HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 05:01 PM

In the process of M6 conversion. HELP ME

I just pulled off the top portion of my center console. There seems to be a bunch of brackets and such in here. What bolts do I need to take off to get this auto shifter out? Do I have to take out the whole center console to gain access to these bolts? Am I going to have to cut a hole for the M6 shifter to come through?
Old 02-20-2003, 05:36 PM

Best thing to do is completely remove the center console. Once you have it out of the way, you can unbolt the a4 shifter mechanism and unplug the connector. It is the gear selector plug which has the wires for the clutch switch in it. Yes, you will have to cut a hole in the metal for the shifter to fit through. I just eyeballed it and it came out alright, just a bit more than i needed. You shouldn't have a problem. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2003, 05:45 PM

Are there provisions for the clutch slave cylinder?
Old 02-20-2003, 05:47 PM

Thumbs up

pulling the entire console out is def. necessary to get clearance for cutting the hole for the shifter. i also had both front seats out to clean the carpet at the time, and that seemed to help out quite a bit.

for the a4 shifter there are a couple of connections to it, all of which unplug rather easily. there is the harness, just unplug it and move it out of the way. there is the shift linkage, once again, just unplug it from the shifter. there is another piece which goes to the steering column, i forget what it does, but it can also be removed.

for the m6 shifter hole, i just used the m6 lower shift boot as a template and cut a tad smaller than it w/ an air powered cut off tool. you could also use a sabre/recip. saw for this...

i followed alex's page basically to the T ....

Good Luck!

feel free to email me if you have any other questions
Old 02-20-2003, 05:54 PM

ah, just saw your post aboot the slave cylinder...

the only thing you'll have to do for the clutch hydraulics is drill a hole in the firewall for the master cylinder. what you need to do is mock up the pedals in place and mark where to drill. just have a decent drill bit set for the u-bolt holes and i used a 1-5/8" hole saw for the actual master cylinder...
Old 02-20-2003, 06:43 PM

Everything sounds like common sense except for setting up the master cylinder and pedals. This looks more complicated than I was told and thought. What parts of the swap are difficult? I didn't completely understand the part about installing the pedals, cutting the hole for the shifter, the whole part about the steering column and setting up the master cylinder. Is it easier once I see what I'm dealing with?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:12 PM

Jeese
You have mail

The peddles and slave should not be a big deal but is a pain.
Neethier will be the hole for the shifter.

I will explain any questions you have tomorrow when I call you.

Ed
Old 02-20-2003, 07:25 PM

LOL Dude trust me I didn't steer you wrong when your done your going to be like "that wasn't so bad"

Take the steering wheel out it will help with the pedals and master cylinder. You don't have to worry about the slave because it mounts to the tranny. Take the steering column out and loosen the brake booster it will give you some room to put the master cylnder in.

Your going to have to cut two holes one in the floor board for the master cylinder and one in the console. They don't have to be precise and there is a pattern if you will on the rubber that goes under the carpet behind the pedals that KINDOF shows you where to put the master cylinder. You still have my number if you have probs you can call and I can take pics.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:29 PM

My car had a hole already where there is supposed to be one, just with a circular piece of metal welded on it. Or it was just never fully punched out. It is behind the plastic that covers the firewall though. You shouldn't have a problem putting the pedals in at all. I had no trouble and I am 6' 3" 400lbs. If my big *** can get under there (seats out of course) with no problems, you shouldn't have any. I didn't even take off the steering wheel. I didn't see how that would have made it much easier really. Some people will swap out the steering column for the six speed key flipper, but I said what the hell. Who cares if you can take the key out without some kind of "prevention" device. Still works great.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:20 PM

LOL you guys are too much. I would like to avoid taking out the steering wheel if at all possible, but I was told I would have to in order to disconnect a wire that keeps the ignition from firing while the car is in gear (auto). I think I was just a little panicy when I read over the page on how to do this, a little more than I expected but not really. I've done a trans and then a clutch on a thirdgen so I have the basics just not the fine detail on how I exactly do it. I'm sort of a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff but you know. Anyway thanks again guys and I will let you know WHEN I need help. Just be sure to keep an eye out for my posts that will read. "Please God help me!!!"
Old 02-21-2003, 03:45 PM

You will have to cut a hole for the shifter, You will have to drill a hole for the clutch mastercylinder and when I did it I took out the steering column and drivers side seat. I don't know if removing these things were absolutely neccesary, but it is nice to work without them in the way. Just keep plugging along, it really is very easy and things will make more sense once you actually see it.