LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A problem keeping the car running after a few minutes...Fuel Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 01:16 PM

A problem keeping the car running after a few minutes...Fuel Injectors?

Here's what happened...it pretty much came out of the blue driving to work one day. Car basically just started sputtering, SES light popped on, and the idle went haywire while at idle and eventually just died. There was a report of some bad gas up here in Milwaukee around the same time, and it just so happened that I had filled up the day before on 87 octane...when I usually use 92-93. After a few minutes, it fired back up and ran alright for 2 days, when the problem happened again; and it's been sitting for 2 weeks now. Tried filling it back up with 93 and running some FI cleaner in it, ran for about 5 minutes before it died again.

Anyone had this problem before with fuel injectors going bad, or should I look towards something else for my problem? Could a clogged cat or bad o2's be the cause, since it seems to only happen once it's warmed up? Only mod at the moment is a cut-out. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Re: A problem keeping the car running after a few minutes...Fuel Injectors?

What was the code that set the SES? Is the light still on?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:34 PM

I don't have a code scanner, and the car isn't currently driveable to take it somewhere to be scanned, would need to pay for a tow. The SES light turns off when it isn't going nuts on me, will pop back on once it's having problems.

Sorry I can't give more info, I know it's forcing people to take stabs in the dark but that's all I can hope for right now =\
Old 11-19-2004, 04:18 PM

Sounds like a fuel pump to me. A bad injector would just feel like a miss. I can't see more than a few going bad at the same time. Hell, my car fired and ran on 5 cylinders..... forgot to plug in the inj clips after installing the intake.

I bet the SES light was due to a lean condition... i.e. fuel pump not delivering enough fuel.

If you can have/borrow a fuel pressure gauge, tap it into the schrader valve on the fuel rail. you should have about 42-44 psi when ign is "on" an then drops to about 37-39 after about 5 seconds (engine not running). Also, see if the pressure holds at 37-39. If it doesn't, the regulator could be the culprit.

If you don't have a gauge, CAREFULY push down on the valve to see if you have pressure after the ignition is "on." Keep rags and fire extinguisher handy just incase.

Other possibilites:
If you have an MSD coil, check that first. Mine went bad after 6 months. Stock coils are stout but check anyways.

Ignition Module - unlikely but possible.

Opti.

Check for spark at the coil and at the plug to eliminate these possibilities.