LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Power Steering flush..question about the "4th gen tech articles" web page...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 12:15 PM

Question Power Steering flush..question about the "4th gen tech articles" web page...

http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/4th...2.html#psflush

I have already done the searches etc. as you can see from the link above. My question about the link, it says to "Remove reservoir hose at fluid reservoir and plug the reservoir port (should be the hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump. You may want to unmount the reservoir to make it easier to get to the hoses.)".

What do you plug the port with? And there are two tubes coming out of the reservoir, which one do you remove?

Also, when you are flushing the fluid, does it only pour out when you are turning the wheel? Because it says, once you see clean fluid to unplug the port and re-connect hose tho the reservoir. I'm envisioning fluid pouring out as you hook back up. I assume it only comes out as you are turning the wheel? Right?
Old 06-18-2003, 12:42 PM

Anyone know? I need to do it this morning so the sooner the better.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:37 PM

Lightbulb

I realize it's an often neglected area to service but come on, no one has done this?!?!?!

I know you have, a little help please...
Old 06-18-2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by CARGUY
I realize it's an often neglected area to service but come on, no one has done this?!?!?!

I know you have, a little help please...
Yup... I *AM* doing this....

... I'm not into getting power steering fluid dirty. That fluid smells like a$$.

I am simply taking a turkey baster and sucking out 1/4 of a L of fluid at a time.

Suck out as much as you can, refill. Drive the vehicle for a few miles to circulate the new stuff. Repeat.

I do this every trip of an hour or more driving, and have done the refill about 5 times now (1L of PS fluid). It is ALMOST all out. It takes about 2 minutes each time, so its not a labour intensive exercise.

The old stuff was VERY black, and thick.

Plus, I'd rather not mess with the lines to the pump, the rack...
Old 06-18-2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by DR.ZED
Yup... I *AM* doing this....

... I'm not into getting power steering fluid dirty. That fluid smells like a$$.

I am simply taking a turkey baster and sucking out 1/4 of a L of fluid at a time.

Suck out as much as you can, refill. Drive the vehicle for a few miles to circulate the new stuff. Repeat.

I do this every trip of an hour or more driving, and have done the refill about 5 times now (1L of PS fluid). It is ALMOST all out. It takes about 2 minutes each time, so its not a labour intensive exercise.

The old stuff was VERY black, and thick.

Plus, I'd rather not mess with the lines to the pump, the rack...
Hey, thanks for the reply. What brand are you using? And do you (or anyone else) know if it's ok to mix a blend like Valvoline Supersyn?
Old 06-18-2003, 03:15 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. What brand are you using? And do you (or anyone else) know if it's ok to mix a blend like Valvoline Supersyn?
I cannot say for PS fluid, but generally speaking synthetic is okay to mix with non synthetic.

I am using cheap-o stuff.

I am also however, going to regularily change this fluid out, so I don't care.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:21 PM

The only reason I'm asking is because I recently started doing autox, so the fluid is seeing much more work than regular driving, so I was thinking maybe switching to a synthetic would be better.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:23 PM

The only reason I'm asking is because I recently started doing autox, so the fluid is seeing much more work than regular driving, so I was thinking maybe switching to a synthetic would be better.
Absolutely in that case. It will not boil over as quickly and last longer.

Also I'd recommend FORD DOT III brake fluid (in can, not the plastic bottle). That stuff is amazing.

Ciao.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by DR.ZED
Absolutely in that case. It will not boil over as quickly and last longer.

Also I'd recommend FORD DOT III brake fluid (in can, not the plastic bottle). That stuff is amazing.

Ciao.
Is that full synthetic and GM compatible? Is it just at Ford dealers?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:54 PM

To answer your question. Have someone sit in the driver's seat and start the engine and turn the wheel with the line that comes from the rack disconnected. The fluid will squirt out the line. Immediately shut the engine off and top off the resevoir when it stops squirting. Don't run it dry. Top her off and keep doing it. Eventually the stuff that squirts out will be clear. It will take a whole lot of those little bottles! Like maybe 10 or 12.

I don't know which line it is on the Camaro. I did it recently on my Blazer (I'v got to start avoiding that 4 foot deep water!
Old 06-18-2003, 04:03 PM

The bigger tube is the return line. that's the one you want to plug. I just used a piece of tubing and plugged it by folding it over and putting a hose clamp over it. I learned the hard way to be sure the wheels are off the ground or the pressure coming out is really, really high. Couple a hose from tne line you disconnected and put it in a bucket on the ground. I put a quart bottle of fluid into the top of the power steering container and let it fill itself as the level dropped. Once you have clean fluid, you are done. I trust that more than the multiple change method but it is still better than nothing.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:08 PM

Re: Power Steering flush..question about the "4th gen tech articles" web page...

http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/4th...2.html#psflush

I have already done the searches etc. as you can see from the link above. My question about the link, it says to "Remove reservoir hose at fluid reservoir and plug the reservoir port (should be the hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump. You may want to unmount the reservoir to make it easier to get to the hoses.)".

What do you plug the port with? And there are two tubes coming out of the reservoir, which one do you remove?

Also, when you are flushing the fluid, does it only pour out when you are turning the wheel? Because it says, once you see clean fluid to unplug the port and re-connect hose tho the reservoir. I'm envisioning fluid pouring out as you hook back up. I assume it only comes out as you are turning the wheel? Right?

You plug it with whatever you have to plug it with. A hose with a bolt in it or whatever.

Which tube? Doesn't it say right there "the hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump" ?

The procedure says to run the engine and turn the wheel from lock to lock to purge the fluid. Only residual fluid in the hose will come out when it is off and you are not turning the wheel.

Last edited by shoebox; 06-18-2003 at 04:11 PM.