LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Power and ground wires for headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 08:30 AM

Power and ground wires for headlights

Im hoping this is the right forum for this.

Im installing a set of indiglo gauges on my 93Z... putting them on, not the problem. Im trying to wire them properly now. Ok, first I tried hooking up the power/gound to the red (power I assume) wire and the black wire (ground i assume) on the plug that goes into the headlight switch. I was hoping that the gauges would turn on when i turned on the parking/driving lights, you know, like they normally light up.

I connect my battery again, but the gauges go on all the time. I figure that there is a relay somewhere, which is what shuts the power to the gauges on and off at the switch. So I try a different route and connect (this was a pain) the red gauge wire to the red wire in the bundle of wires going into the actual cluster. I connected the gauge ground to a solid black wire (same bundle). There was a black wire there with a white stripe going down it, but I figured ground would be solid black?

Ok i turn my car on, the gauges dont light, the original bulbs dont light either, and the needles dont move. But the low oil, system light flash (like they normally do at startup). I have no idea why it did this. I pushed the connector in all the way, and properly spliced the wires.

Question is - which wire controls the power that turns on the instrument cluster lights??