LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Possible Opti Failure? (Detailed Info)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:43 AM

Question Possible Opti Failure? (Detailed Info)

I have whats listed in the sig. Since last summer, I get intermittent misses, especially in low rpm high map situations. Once it gets 180+ or so I get consistent missing, with the occasional backfiring not just during decel but normal cruise. Another way is if I do a quick drive somewhere and back home not getting above 160, then the car sits for awhile. If I go back out and drive it while its still warm, the constant miss is right there. But if I open it up to around the 4K rpm range it seems to lighten up until around 5K rpm's.

At first I thought the LTCC setup may have helped burn up a plug wire but taking a quick look at them they all look good. I have the coils on the valve covers so the wires run over the vavle covers. I haven't had the wires off for a full inspection but plan to soon. I would say there is a good 0.25-0.5 inch spacing in all areas of the wires to the headers. When I put the LTCC on I also put some RTV in the tips of the ends for the plug wires and coil wires to keep junk out of the opti.

Even before I got the LTCC I had the 5000 rpm miss, which seemed to go away for awhile but then came back after the LTCC. Before the LTCC went in the waterpump went, and I drove it for a while constantly refilling the coolant, so there was good amount of water hitting the opti during that time.

The first time it happened was when I took it to the track for the first time after the LTCC install. I was sitting in the stagging lanes and the temp hit 200 or whenever the second fan kicked on. About another minute later it got a terrible miss, it could hardly even idle, I got a flashing SES light. So I went and let it sit to cool down for about an hour and the small intermittent miss was there ever since.

I also have an oil leak somewhere around the opti, I can't tell where its coming from it seems like most of it is around the bottom of the timing cover/front of oil pan seal dripping right on the sway bar and there was some if I remember right around the water pump drive gear during the water pump replacement.

I have scanning software but haven't used it in awhile. If I remember right it went back forth or showed combos of CYL 1, CYL 2, or CYL 1 & 2 missing.

I plan on putting a electric water pump on when I finally get to work on it along with new plugs/wires/wire wrap maybe and was thinking of just doing an opti while in there and maybe trying to find the oil leak if its caused by the timing cover. I just wanted to get some ideas of what could be going on before I dive in and do it. The car has around 177K miles on what appears the original opti, as I have all paperwork and haven't found a replacement in any of the reciepts.

Once the weather is nice I'll take it out and get some logs and post them.

Any help/ideas would be helpful.

EDIT: I do have a SES light for rear O2's and EVAP Purge the last time I checked.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:26 PM

TTT for the weekend.