LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Plz read your guys are my only hope!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 09:14 PM

Plz read your guys are my only hope!

hi i own a 94z m6 and ive been having som problems , while they dont seem too bad im concerned. first, the temp meter goes crazy sometimes it goes semi slow up to 240 and then goes down semi fast to 210 then goes up again and down and keeps doing that , im not sure if its the meter or my car is actually really overheating and cooling down ina cicle all the time.

ok so second problem , i used to have a stumble problem but it got fixed wth opti, although i get a little boggling or stumble sometimes usually when i drive more than 20min and its warm. i found that my coolant was leaking through a hose and was dropping on belt, so i would loose power steering sometimes but now thats fixed , but now i still get some sort of liquid into my belt and im not sure what it is , im think maybe an oil leak??? anyways my main problem is the random stumbles and loosing SP , i dont know whats causing it and i dont like driving my z anymore its just not very reliable. i wanna getthis fixed so i can drive it everyday like a normal car. ( the stumble is usually at low-mid rpms) plz reply asap.
sorry for my english but im from CHIle
Old 06-10-2006, 09:48 PM

Re: Plz read your guys are my only hope!

I also smell some ¨burned¨coolant when i get out of the car but that might be from last time i had a coolant leak which was like 4 months ago. to tell u the truth the smell is like coolant and some other stuff i cant recognize.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:14 PM

For your temp gauge problems, make sure the wire to the sensor is in good shape and well connected. Also make sure you have all the air bled from the cooling system. You can try comparing your temp gauge reading to scanner readings if you have a scanner available. That will tell you if the fluctuations are genuine or not.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:05 AM

Check and see if the water pump is leaking or in otherwise bad shape. A leaking water pump could cause your temperature fluctuations (getting air in the system, pumping compromised) and your stumbling problem (coolant getting into the opti).
Old 06-11-2006, 04:45 PM

i dont have any scanners in here cuz i live in chile and they dont have very many american car´s shops or services. i could go ahead and order a water pump and go get it installed by a very good shop here that i usually take my car to. my car has only like 56k miles and almost everything is stock , and probably the WP is original too so should i just order a pump because my mom is going to the us in a week or so and i could save the delivery that way.
i really wanna help my cooling system, which stat should i get and which WP, gaskets etc.. anything that could help my cooling system and stumble problem.
i really wanna get this fixed and cuz my mom going there i wanna buy anything that can be helpfull in anyway. i was thinking of ordering

new coil (i got a msd 2 years old only but its cheap)
Wp maybe
Temp stat
new slp filters for my cai
some oil filters cuz i cant get em here
plz post anything u would add to it.

also i have found some oil in the valves cover and some in the bottom part of the block is that normal or should i get someone to check it and fix it?
ty.

plz give me recomandations on brands or which WP is best for a 94 z , ty u guys are my only source of info refering to my camaro due to that in Chile there arent many camaros. ty
Old 06-11-2006, 04:48 PM

Also if you guys could give me a few tips on things i should buy for my z in order for it to be more reliable that would be awsome.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:03 PM

ttt
Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 AM

Your temperature flucuations are not abnormal. The stock fan on temperatures are almost 230 degrees. Your fans are coming on, cooling it off to the off setpoint, then your temp is climbing back up. To verify this, leave your a/c on max and see if your temp stays stable... this makes your fans stay on in fast speed. I recommend a lower t-stat and fan reprogramming.

For the leak.. you just gotta eyeball it and figure out where it's coming from... I once had a pinhole coolant leak that took forever to find.

Jonota
Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 PM

get the opti cause if the water leaking it leaked on the opti and that next to go
Old 06-12-2006, 01:36 PM

well the opti is fairly new not even 1k miles on it a , i dont think a little water ****ed it up and i dont get many stumbles to checkthat, although i get some, im guessing is because some water got in there in that time but then it passes.

anyone know a good water pump and maybe a page where the pump and opti have a good price?