LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

!!!!PLEASE HELP, K mebmer Ques!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 04:06 PM

!!!!PLEASE HELP, K mebmer Ques!!!!

I have my oil pan off and im trying to put in new rod bearings and I want to take my K member off completly. I also have to turn the motor with the crank to get the pistons to come down so i can get the bollts off for the bearing. Will my block fall if i have the motor mounts off? i have the tranny up on a floor jack in the rear and a real jack under the middle of the tranny. will this be enough to hold my motor from falling on me when i remove the k member. it already has 5 bolts off and 1 is remaining. Any body any suggestions. Im just trying to be safe! should i wedge like a pole under the motor for more support?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like you need a hoist... when I pulled my K member... I remember the enging dropping signifigantly... even with tranny intact.

But thank god I have a Tube Kmember.. now... I can pull the pan no problem.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:21 PM

When doing a job like that, safety should be the utmost priority. I would rent a hoist and keep the motor supported from up top. When you undo those motor mounts, you are going to have the full weight of that motor all on the tranny.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:18 PM

If you're going to drop the k-member its really not much more work to pull the whole motor and tranny. You've disconnected all the brake lines and stuff right? This is a hell of a lot of work for rod bearings. I'd just pull the motor and stick all new bearings in it and see if you can get by with just a hone and rings.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:31 PM

No way in heck I would try to do it the way you are doing it.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shoebox
No way in heck I would try to do it the way you are doing it.
Me either....might leave a nasty scar if it falls on your head
Why does it need a bearing? Dude do yourself a favor and pull the motor out and get it on a stand.....If that crank isn't in really good shape it will eat the new bearing up in 500 miles.....I have heard from old timers to scrape a penny across the journals and they should feel smooth with the penny.....hope that helps or makes sense,
Old 03-11-2007, 03:17 PM

yeah it left a ridge on the #7 and #8 journal. im replacing the bearings beacause i spun a rod bearing. the #8 bearing to be exact. i just really don't have the time nor the money to be doing engine drops and crap like that i just want to fix the journal and get an oversized bearing for it. i just put in a hot cam kit and spent like $1100 trying to fix the knocking and it dint get fixed. so now im doing the bottom end.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

man if you don't fix it now...you probly have a rod hanging out of the side....reason is...when it is knocking, the big end of the rod is going to get out of roud.
A machine shop should be able to cut the cap and fix your rod, but if not you can find another stocker...you need to have all rods checked, check the crank...the cranks are easy to come by too....I got mine out of a van, machine shop let me have it and $50 to clean it up and polish.

I know how things go but if you try to cut corners now...you will have a major problem, just trying to help you out
Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM

If you have ridges on the crank, the bearing is going to do no good. It might last for a few hundred miles (if that long), then you will be back to tearing it down again (if you don't blow it up). You can't just put bandaids on bearing problems. They have to be fixed right.
Do what you want, but I predict more or worse problems in your future.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like either ay you have to pull that motor.