LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 02:05 PM

Angry Please Help!!!

Alright i just finished up the throttle body bypass, fan switch, and new crane coil the other day. Sarted it up and it was missing for a couple minutes and went away after like 5 minutes---was it just the coil needed charged up and broke in? Then i turn the fan switch on to make sure it's working and it is......but then i shut it off. So i turn it off and start it again and the check engine light is on (not sure if it was because of the miss or the fans) and the fans come on when i start the car with the switch in the off position.

So right now the check engine light is on and the fans come on when you start the car and stay on........what would cause the fans to start and stay on with the engine? Could air in the cooling system do it? I never bleaded the air out after the bypass.

I need help, cause i get my car out April 1st or that's what the plan was, it's been like 7 months without driving it already
Old 03-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Did you possibly drip coolant on the ignition wires and Optispark distributor when you did the TB bypass? If so, its possible that it ran rough until the wires dried out. A coil doesn't need to be "broke in".

How did you do the fan switch mod? Did you do the wiring in such a way as to avoid the SES/code that you can get if you wire the switch incorrectly.

Air in the cooling system won't cause a code or an SES light.... might turn on the low coolant light, but that's not related to the computer.

You might want to add the year of your car to your signature... not all the LT1's are the same, and in some cases the answers to tech questions are dependant on the year of the car.

Last edited by Injuneer; 03-29-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:43 PM

Yes i did drip coolant on the wires, i was worried about that, not much though. It is the SLP fan switch that plugs in between the harness and ECM. It's the OBD1 type, 1994 Camaro Z28
Old 03-29-2004, 06:11 PM

Probably just misfired because of the coolant and threw the code and the code made the fans come on. I am just going to stop at the dealorship and have them clear it, and see if it goes away....prob will