LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

People with Kooks headers inside please....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 06:38 PM

People with Kooks headers inside please....

Can you install the Kooks without having to jack the engine to fit them in there? I have my manifold off at the moment also and would like to put it back on, but I don't want to put it on if I need to jack the engine up for the header install. I'll have to wait till thursday before getting my headers. Thanks.

Ken R.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:46 PM

Re: People with Kooks headers inside please....

Going with Kooks stepped race headers here on my 396 that LME is building right now, but they are using a lift. When I installed my JetHot longtubes I had to lift the passenger side about 2" with about 2 feet of lift of the whole car. It had to go in at about a 60 degree angle, tought fit but nothing worked until I pulled that eng mnt bolt and lifted the eng like I said, then it slid right in. That side is a PIA.

FYI, I saw a car today in GForce's shop on the lift with Kooks installed, the starter looked like a tight fit with the close primarys, they told me to install the starter they had to undo the headers and just let them sit free, installed the starter then bolt up the headers. I didn't have that problem with the JetHots, you may have known this but just an FYI. Looks like you have to use a shorter oil filter too from what I've researched.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2006, 01:28 PM

Yes, know about the shorter oil filter already. Don't know about the starter at this point, but it's out of the car anyway along with the tranny, so if I need to put the starter in first, I can and will heat protect it and worry about removing it on a day that it desides to stop working. It's new at this point anyway. Was really just wondering about the install and weather I needed to jack the engine or not. There the standard 1 3/4" and not the stepped. If I don't need to jack it, i'll put the rest of my stuff back together and just wait for the headers. Anybody else have any input? Thanks.

Ken R.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:31 PM

I got mine in without jacking the motor up.. was a PITA though, also had to remove the oil cooler and install a shorter oil filter. BTW mine were the stepped version but I doubt it would make much of a difference
Old 02-05-2006, 01:36 PM

Yes-they are a very easy install as well. Helped CANTONRACER with his and after I saw the ease of installation, I now want a pair.