LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pacesetter long tubes...i must complain

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:42 PM

Pacesetter long tubes...i must complain

i bought a set of pacesetter long tubes without AIR for my 94 Z. i like the headers. they look nice and the cost is great. however, the fitment of mine were terrible. they hit the passenger side motor mount by a good 1/2". they wouldn't even bolt up they were hitting soo bad. the drivers side rubbed a little on the motor mount as well. I had to notch the motor mount on both sides. it was a good thing i had the motor out of the car and the motor mounts on. i thought i'd throw the headers on for a pic. good thing i was curious and did this. the header tube from the cylinder one exhaust port also hits that pipe that loops around on the back of the air conditioning pump. i haven't come up with a fix for that yet. it bends a little, but either way you bend it, it's in the way.

those are my problems with pacesetters. hopefully, all is well now. the y-pipe seems to be clearing ok (i have prothane motor mounts). overall, i'm happy, but unhappy i had to do al this crap to make them work.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:48 PM

Re: Pacesetter long tubes...i must complain

That's odd...mine slipped right in. However, I did bend that A/C line slightly, dent in the driver side floorboard to clear the Y-pipe, and notch one of the header primaries to clear the steering shaft
Old 08-06-2005, 12:13 AM

i think pacesetter has quality control problems as far as making every header the same. i've never heard of anybody having the problems hittin the motor mounts like i have, but everyone has had something. my headers clear the steering shaft by a longshot, and so did my y-pipe on the drivers side. thats my point. everybody seems to have something different. once i cleared the motor mounts, it was an easy install, but it would have been a huge mishap if i wouldn't have checked for clearance on the motor mounts before the motor went in.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:17 AM

got a link to the headers and Y pip you used?
Old 08-06-2005, 12:27 AM

they are just the regular pacesetter long tubes for lt1 f-body. i bought the matching y-pipe too.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:27 AM

I had some of the same problems, just not quite as bad. At first I couldnt even get mine to bolt up to the heads, but after quite a while of putting the bolts in, in different orders they finally wall went in. After that i noticed one of the primaries was resting on the passenger side motor mount. I had to grind on my steering column to clear one of the primaries. The A/C line is extremly close to the primarys as well. Mine smack the floor boards when I get on it, but that may be do to bad motor mounts. Maybe new ones would fix everything.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:27 AM

The only complaint I have with mine is it touches the bellhousing (there's a little tab) no biggie really though, everything bolted up fine.

I've done many pacesetter LT installs and not once had a problem so critical I had to grind down, cut, dent, massage, anything.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by blackztpi
i think pacesetter has quality control problems as far as making every header the same. i've never heard of anybody having the problems hittin the motor mounts like i have, but everyone has had something. my headers clear the steering shaft by a longshot, and so did my y-pipe on the drivers side. thats my point. everybody seems to have something different. once i cleared the motor mounts, it was an easy install, but it would have been a huge mishap if i wouldn't have checked for clearance on the motor mounts before the motor went in.
I definitely agree, it seems like everyone has different fitment issues. I am in the middle of my Pacesetter install right now and I am not very happy with the results so far. Right now I am having major problems getting the EGR tube to clear the trans. dipstick. Out of the box, the headers were okay, but not the best. The welds were kind of sloppy as there are alot of stray beads of weld all over the header. But oh well, hopefully I'll finish it up today and be done with it.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:21 PM

the welds are kind of sloppy on mine as well. i'd expect them to be on every header. thats just the pacesetter trend.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:25 PM

my only complaint woud be the sloppy welds. other that that i put mine in from the top in about two hours without any clearancing. my stock exhaust was already out and engine was hooked up to a hoist though.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:36 PM

you guys all got screwed....mine are awesome. They slipped right in, don't rub on anything. the welds also look good and so far they have given me no problems!
Old 08-06-2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by brn_em_up13
you guys all got screwed....mine are awesome. They slipped right in, don't rub on anything. the welds also look good and so far they have given me no problems!
Thats what im talking about......i just got done doing mine and damn the hard part getting the old stuff out.....i just jacked my car up and sliped both sides from the bottom with no rubbing or hitting anything.....cannot complain at all love them : )
Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 PM

i had no complain on my install.

i feel lefted out >
Old 08-09-2005, 03:30 PM

I got no complaint but I didn't install them myself. I just ahd the shop put them in while doing some other work. I find its less frustrating when there is a problem