LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is this an overtightend valve???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 08:43 PM

Is this an overtightend valve???

I just changed the fuel pump and now i have good fuel pressure. At the same time i had a rocker arm ticking under the hood so we pulled the valve cover and we found a rocker that was alot looser then any of the others so we tightend it, im thinking we prolly tightend it about 2 full turns until it wouldnt wiggle so much, well we started up the engine and the ticking went away but after about a minute of the car being started i have this sound coming from the exhuast and it kinda makes this tu....tu......tu.tu sound kinda speradically i am pretty sure sitting here that it was the #5 intake valve, we took the valve cover back off and backed it off about half a turn and then we started it back up and then it still did it after about a minute of the car being running, I never had this problem before i touched the rocker arm or replaced the fuel pump bc we did both at the same time. I would think that the valve is still too tight and needs to be backed off some more but i wanted a second opinion. The rpm's stay pretty steady but i just have the sound coming from the exhaust. Would an overtightend valve cause this problem???
Old 08-22-2004, 09:00 PM

Re: Is this an overtightend valve???

I would remove rocker and readust it.
If it was loose and you just crank it down, you have know idea where you are at.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:04 PM

Instead of guessing, why not start the car up with the cover off and adjust the suspect valve correctly? Loosen until tap occurs and then tighten until tap goes away, and then set preload. Since I'm not sure what your others are set at, I can't say how much preload you'll want. I only went 1/8 turn past zero lash (when tapping first stops).

Frank
Old 08-22-2004, 09:06 PM

Well i am almost positive that we tightend it too much, so i think we are just going to back it off a little at a time prolly like a quarter of a turn and then see if it eventually goes away. Would this overtightend valve cause the problem that i mentioned??
Old 08-22-2004, 09:23 PM

sent you a pm