LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Opinions on the new Trick Flows and a mostly stock motor???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 08:08 PM

Opinions on the new Trick Flows and a mostly stock motor???

I don't know much about heads really, but I planned on going with a cam swap in about mid summer and knew I wanted to try and do heads at the same time. I was looking at the Edlebrock's because of the price but they don't seem all that great to me over stock. That could just be my lack of knowledge though. Anyway the new Trick Flows are looking pretty appealing for a similar price but I don't want to get too much for my application. Since it say's recommended for forced induction I'm leary. Sometime I'll get NO2 but probably not within the next year. Based just on the flow #'s and not the reputation since they don't really have one with LT1's yet is this too much for me. I haven't decided on a cam yet, I kinda wanted to figure out my heads first and then get a cam to match. I have the car in the sig. and a set of Jet Hot LT's and a Vig. 3000rpm still waiting to go in. Also if my gf's dad will help me 3.73's are a probable thing by spring if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance, and sorry so long. I know it's a lot of questions in one post.

Last edited by Jay-Roll; 01-01-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:25 PM

for the same price or less, you can have your stock heads ported/polished. this will give you more bang for the buck.
the heads you mentioned arent too big for you application, neither is porting your own heads.
1. what are you wanting to do with your car?
2. is it a daily driver?
3. do you have to pass emissions?

jesse
Old 01-01-2004, 11:03 PM

Those edelbrocks got some MAJOR velocity... you guys gotta remember they are only 170cc heads... not big *** 190cc, 200+cc heads... Plus as with the rest of the edelbrocks they have meat to be taken off... If I would have had a choice aside from AFR, LT1, LT4, I would have gone with the TFS or Edelbrock. And then you can STILL sell your stock heads for 200 bucks to somebody...
Old 01-02-2004, 12:54 PM

The car will be a daily driver until I can afford a truck. Which might be a year or more. After that it will still be driven often. Emissions are not a factor. I live in Michigan Basically I want power across the whole board, but if I had to choose I'd prefer it on the low end. I don't go to the strip a lot, and I don't do too much top end driving or racing. I'd prefer my power came in mid to mid/low range. Not that high end hp isn't important to me, just that low end tq is more important. I want to feel most of my power when I'm just driving around. Not when I have it at WOT on the dragstrip. Which won't be as often as I'd probably like. And I sure as heck plan on driving around a lot.

On a second quick question about a P&P on my stock heads. I figure I can get that done for a similar or lower price. Will I get as much out of the car as with either aftermarket heads I mentioned. I can't afford 2G's since I'm doing a cam swap at the same time otherwise I'd go a different route. But like someone else said. I can get the Edlebrocks for the same price as a p&p and still sell my stock heads to lower my overall cost. Then someday if I want more, I can just get the E's worked. Sorry I kinda changed my mind again but after some thinking it started sounding reasonable. Input please.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:47 PM

how much are the edelbrock heads?
Old 01-02-2004, 03:14 PM

They are $1039.00 before shipping from summit. The Trick Flows are $1300 before shipping from summit also. Anyone have any more info?
Old 01-02-2004, 03:27 PM

That works out to be a STEAL on those heads....
Old 01-02-2004, 03:32 PM

Dont get heads with larger combustion chambers unless you are planning on a blower.The TF's will lower your compression.Your best bet is port the ones you have,or buy a stock set to port if time is a factor.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by joeSS97
Dont get heads with larger combustion chambers unless you are planning on a blower.The TF's will lower your compression.Your best bet is port the ones you have,or buy a stock set to port if time is a factor.
They won't drop it that bad... its not like a 72cc head or anything... I'm just saying the TFS heads will leave you the most room to grow AND you can still sell your stockers to somebody... low 1,000 for BRAND NEW aftermarket quality castings... deal to me...
Old 01-03-2004, 12:11 AM

So how comparable is the flow of the Edlebrocks out of the box vs a stock LT1 head and then a P&P LT1 head? I don't want to bolt on $1000 to hardly feel a difference. I know a p&p on stock heads will net me gains, but if I want more I have to upgrade. With these, if I can spend similar cash and still have room to grow then there's that much more money I save.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Banned

Just bolting on a head, any head, is not going to get you your best "bang for the buck"

Oh sure, you could bolt on a better head and quite likely see and feel a big improvement, if it's not too much of a mis-match with your other components.

But if you really want to get your full value out of the heads, then you should put in a matched cam at the same time.
Your rear gears matter too, as does the tranny. (and TC, if you have an AT)
And obviously the exhast is an issue as well.

In MY PERSONAL OPINION, it is silly to bolt on a new set of heads without addressing the cam and exhaust at the same time, not to mention your TB, injectors, programming, etc.

The idea of doing much of the same job twice just drives me nuts, and believe me, it's a short trip for me in the first place.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:04 AM

Do all or nothing.. you will notice more gains outta just a cam then just heads

And the guy whos doing my LT1 heads as we speak has played with the eldebrocks and the TF's and sauys for cost efficent HP porting the stock ones is DEFFINITLY the way to go. The TFs arent goot for an NA motor unless you mill the head down but then that means you have to play with the intake to get that to fit. and its just not worth it, I dropped my heads off yesterday and saw a set of ported LT1's and a set of Unported and Ported Edelbrocks... He said yeah the edelbrocks flowed a LITTLE better but nothing that you will notice in the car or on the track... and you have to pay 1000 for the heads and about 1000 for the porting... or just get the stock ones done for 1000.... Seems like a pretty easy choice to me

But as stated above and i agree 100%
You need a cam injectors a TB Programing Exhaust and the right gears for an M6 and a TC with the right gears for an A4
Old 01-03-2004, 04:34 PM

As stated earlier. I am already doing the cam. I just decided to do the heads at the same time. The reason I want to figure out what to do in the head department is so I can match the cam to the heads. I don't want to make a decision on a cam and get it in,then try and find heads to get the most out of my application. It's a more expensive and less available route to go in my opinion. But by the sounds of it, I should probably just get my current or other used stock heads just P&P'd. Then someday when I get money I'll go with bigger heads on my future 383. Thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:09 AM

you don't need 10.5:1 compression to make power. Its just easier to. If that was the case, every single camaro, ta, mustang, blah blah blah would have a high compression motor. A solid bottom end and a well matched good flowing top end is what makes the power. By dropping 5-8 cc's its not gonna make you lose all your horsepower. And if you are really worried about all that power you are gonna lose, man up and put a bigger bump stick, port the heads just a lil more....

My new motor is going to be 8.1:1, and I am planning on making at least 650 to the wheels on a D1.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:58 AM

If you're worried about lowering compression, use the Impy SS head gaskets. They are thinner. That, combined w/possible N2O added later may just be a good combo. Don't know, but good luck.

Myself, I'm goin' LT4 on 1 car, and Lloyd Elliott p/p stock heads and 224/230 XE Cam and see how that and a 125 shot does to a daily driver's ET.