LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

OMG Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:37 PM

OMG Help!!!

Last week the car ran great, this problem just started a few days ago. I start the car, and it fires and idles great, I take off and after about 1 minute or so, the car just dies.. no warning, no sputtering, NOTHING. After it dies it wont start for again, I usually have to leave it where it lies and come back the next day and start it. It cranks, but just wont start after the initial dieing. I believe it might have something to do with the alternator because before this I had been experiencing weird radio problems where it would just shut off, and randomly come on when it felt like it. The battery is abnormally low on charge as well.

Please help me figure this out.. I hate driving my 89' Dodge Dakota
Old 09-14-2004, 11:05 PM

Re: OMG Help!!!

Originally Posted by PsstTA
Last week the car ran great, this problem just started a few days ago. I start the car, and it fires and idles great, I take off and after about 1 minute or so, the car just dies.. no warning, no sputtering, NOTHING. After it dies it wont start for again, I usually have to leave it where it lies and come back the next day and start it. It cranks, but just wont start after the initial dieing. I believe it might have something to do with the alternator because before this I had been experiencing weird radio problems where it would just shut off, and randomly come on when it felt like it. The battery is abnormally low on charge as well.

Please help me figure this out.. I hate driving my 89' Dodge Dakota

Sounds like you answered your own question. Leaving the battery overnight allows for just enough charge to start the car. When a stereo comes on and off when it feels like it - I always consider the battery to be dead. All those late nights working on the z28, had to keep her on a charger. Radio would cut in and out a lot after a few hours.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:35 PM

But arent all electronics ran off the alternator once the car is running? Why would a dieing battery let the car start, but just cause it to die after a minute of driving?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:03 PM

sounds like your alternator is not charging your battery try having it tested and have your battery tested to.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:43 PM

Get a volt meter and check it out. First, put the volt meter on the battery
w/o the car running. It should be 12-13 volts by itself. Then, crank the car, and put the volt meter back on the battery while it is running. It should be anywhere from 12.5-14 volts.

That will indicate a battery/alt. issue.

If that isn't it, it could possibly be a fuel issue???
Old 09-15-2004, 06:49 PM

Ill check the battery and alternator. I hope its not a fuel issue, I just replaced the waterpump not even a month ago, and the car ran strong.