LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Old thread follow up: IDLE problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 08:40 AM

Old thread follow up: IDLE problem

A few months ago I had searched & posted on this subject of idle surge. It had started about a year or more ago and would come & go. I would be at a stop light and the idle would jump up to 12-1500 rpm's than drop and run a little rough. It was present after warming up & more than often after getting a gas fill up. I think I have solved my own problem at this time. I sold my car NO just kidding. I had done the tb cleanout, seafoamed twice, new plugs/wires, O2 sensors, egr cleanout, gas treatment, repaired intake oil leak but still experienced the problem, but not quite as bad as before. What I did find & do since that time, & its been a 3 months is to :
1: Repair a vac line leak under the battery area, this one affected the function of the a/c vents so that when I hit the gas the blown air would stop coming out of the dash vents for a short time. The tubing was so brittle that it broke apart from just handling it. There is a small vac can that it feeds into. So that was repaired & a/c vents work fine under accel.
2: I think this may have been the culprit. I hooked in a fuel press. gauge to the back of the manifold area and couldn't get a read out? I played around with it and found it to be a little wet with gas before & after hook up: not enough to leak down but just enough to feel on your finger tips. I believe the shrader valve was sticking and not closed all the way? I cleaned it up & manipulated it and than started getting a readout for the proper amt of pressure.
That was that and it hasn't had the problem since. I have run the gas tank down to different levels and filled it without experiencing that F*-*ing idle surge since.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:45 PM

its good to hear u solved ur problem....sometimes these engines can be a PITA......
hows the car running.....update in a few days or weeks and tell if the car is still going good