LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil Spray or Power Steering Spray?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 03:53 PM

Oil Spray or Power Steering Spray?

Okay, here is what happened...

After driving in extreme heat (damn Arizona heat)... I was pulling into my parking spot when the power steering went out. I pop the hood and I see oil has spray from the direction of the passenger side to the driver side. It hit the hood, the intake elbow, the front bolt to the alternator, and finished up on the driver side strut tower bolts.

Now that is why I'm confused... I'm not sure if a possible oil leak sprayed onto the belt and the belt did the spraying, or if one of the power steering hoses blew and sprayed.

Today the car drove fine. However this happened once before also when it was really hot out. So it only seems to be at high temps. Now that we are starting to hit our hot days, I want to figure this out before it becomes a big issue.

I believe I have an oil leak coming from the electric water pump, but it's not bad enough to spray anywhere... at least I hope so.

Any one have any ideas?
Old 06-04-2004, 04:16 PM

After some more inspection, I believe this is more of an oil spray... Not really sure though where it is coming from. But it has to be enough to coat the belt and spray it in the bay.

Any thoughts as to what can leak this much under high heat?
Old 06-04-2004, 04:52 PM

Okay another look at it and it seems that the leak is coming from the water pump... So I think what is happening is that under high heat the gasket for some reason is letting out more oil and hit the top of the belt before it gets to the balancer. Then it wraps all the way around and starts spraying the engine bay. Which would make sense as to why the power steering went out...

So now my question is do you think that the water pump gasket could be this bad that it leaks enough oil to travel that far on the belt and then coat a good portion of the engine bay?
Old 06-04-2004, 05:11 PM

weep hole.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Spinner
weep hole.
[Dave Chappele as "Lil' John] Wwwwwhat? [/end]
Old 06-04-2004, 06:15 PM

Drain hole in the middle of the water pump. Your bearing seals are bad for the WP driveshaft, causing it to leak out the weep hole right onto the belt, causing it to slip over the PS pully when its under a load. Time to either replace the bearings, or go electric (go electric)
Old 06-04-2004, 06:31 PM

Drain hole in the middle of the water pump. Your bearing seals are bad for the WP driveshaft, causing it to leak out the weep hole right onto the belt, causing it to slip over the PS pully when its under a load. Time to either replace the bearings, or go electric (go electric)
I am already electric and there is no weep hole...

Any other ideas?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by 94LegendMan
I am already electric and there is no weep hole...

Any other ideas?
Well that sucks, but makes it easy. Just replace the two gaskets and be done with it. Doesnt take much to sling it around.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:06 PM

Well that sucks, but makes it easy. Just replace the two gaskets and be done with it. Doesnt take much to sling it around.
Actually now I wish it was the water pump, but it looks like it is the power steering when I only lock it to the left! Doh! Time to post another message to see what I can find out.