LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil pump screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 AM

Oil pump screen

Almost at the end of building my first engine. is there anyway to install the screen on the pump without the tool?

thanx in advance
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM

Re: Oil pump screen

I am assuming you mean the pickup onto the pump. A wrench will work but it scared me as it wants to gouge in. The first one I did I used a battery clamp and it works very well as it doesnt gouge and can get all the way around and helps drive it on straighter. Just a quick note if you are gunna run a different pan it will probably take a different pickup. I just put a new pan on great price too and the puckup bolts onto the pump for a lil extra security.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 PM

Stock oil pan. Bbattery clamp? Would that be aa jumper cable end? Lol not sure.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 PM

The lead replacement battery terminal wire end lol. Sheez I dont know what to call it lol. Its lead and goes over the post on a battery has a bolt and nut to clamp around the battery terminal post. To get it over the pickup you have to remove bolt and open it wide enough then slide that down to the ringed flange lip on the pick up. Tighten the bolt and nut down and proceded to hammer pickup into place kinda alternating blows. Once its started in not to bad. The wrench works but really worried me as it wanted to gouge in. The lead of the terminal clamp is soft and doesnt gouge and I did prefer it over the wrench. I think they are $3-4 and it worked good. I had one laying around as I had trouble starting the pickup and could see the wrench leaving a line and didnt want to distribute the blow from the hammer very well. If you try the terminal clamp just be cautious when spreading it to go over the pickup tube as it could break the lead if you open it up too much. Im probably the only one who has used one for that but I tend to look around for things that help me or protect what im doing and it did both. It was beaten up pretty bad by time it was seated but the tube on the pickup was in better shape that the couple blows with the hammer and wrench. The second one I did I nearly went to walmart and bought one as by the time I had it seated I had gouge that worried me with every blow and I looked at every wrench I had and chose the one with the softest or rounded edge.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:44 PM

I'd recommend simply taking the pump and pickup to your local machine shop, have them install it and then put a tack weld to keep it in there. The pick-up have a tendency topop out sometimes causing bad things....