LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil pan and Level sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM

Oil pan and Level sensor

Ok Guys, I decided to change my oil level sensor since the stock one was leaking. The end fell off the old one in the oil pan. The end fell off the new one in the pan also, along with the little nut holding the float on. I guess I should have dropped the cat since it was to tight. So my question is (I have searched way back and never got a good enough answer) To drop the oil pan and get it out of there to clean it all up what do I have to do. I know the starter and level sensor come off and the motor mount bolts. Is that all? Do I have to drop the cat on the drivers side (Y pipe)? I am very mechanical so I feel stupid even asking but I want to make sure. I am planning on doing the front seals while I have the pan off. Thanks for any and all answers.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 AM

I cant remember if the nut is metal, but if it is why dont you try a bendable magnetic pick-up tool. Thats what I would try first.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:34 AM

Yes it metal but I still would have the two foam plastic looking floats in there.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:50 AM

There is nothing metal that fell into the pan. But, a few years ago when removing my oil level sensor the float fell into the oil pan. I didn't pull the pan and drove the car for about a year. Then pulled the pan to change the gasket, and the float was all broke up with most of it stuck to the oil pump pickup screen. So, yes I would pull the pan and remove both floaters.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:23 PM

The only metal that is in there is the little nut holding the float on. I did read a post about what was said about the stuff being on the oil pump screen. Thats why I am going to pull the pan. I sure hope someone that has done it before will chime in and tell if thats all I need to do to drop the pan enough to remove it.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 PM

i pulled my pan on my 94 6speed car and it wasnt real fun.the only way i found to get enough clearance to get it completly out was to unbolt the k member from the passenger side and get a huge pry bar and pull down on it as someone else pulled out the pan.it takes awhile and its a pain but it can be done.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 PM

There is no nut holding the float on. The only thing holding the float on is a little plastic disc with four holes in it, but I still would not suggest leaving it in there, especially not the float. The removal of the pan is not really difficult. We do ours by supporting the engine from above with a homemade engine support fixture, dropping out the K-member with the suspension assembled (remove the 8 strut bolts/nuts, remove 6 K-member bolts, 4 sway bar bolts, 2 front brake lines, 2 engine mount thru bolts). You can then remove the starter, oil filter and y-pipe for more room.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the reply's. It sounds a lot harder than I thought it would be. At least its winter and the car is parked in my garage. Sounds like a project for after Christmas when I am doing the LS1 brake upgrade and general engine cleaning. I had read on other post that all I had to do was remove motor mount bolts and jack up engine. Maybe loosen the K member bolts until they were almost all the way out and that would give plenty of clearance after rotating the engine to get the crank lobes out of the way. That's why I was asking to make sure. There is a little metal nut on the new oil level sensor that holds the float on and it is in there also. Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 PM

That's one version on how to do it. It is a little more difficult to pull the pan out with the K-member still in the way, but that does make it a little easier if you are working in a small space where removing the whole k-member and suspension would be difficult.