LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

oil filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 PM

oil filter removal

Hey, quick question-

I have yet to change the oil myself on my LT1, and I was wondering if my oil filter claw wrench would work to remove the filter. I ask this because I had a good look at the oil filter when I was under doing my transmission fluid, and it seems like the space around the oil filter is really tight. Would my oil filter claw wrench fit or is there a different tool I should buy?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:58 PM

Re: oil filter removal

Space is pretty tight, and I've tried a couple oil filter wrenches and none fit/work with the limited space. If you can't get it off with one hand (I usually use the front driver side tire for body leverage) than I've had to shove a screw driver through it to get more leverage. Just keep in mind, once you go the screw driver route the filter MUST come off.

K&N makes a filter with a wrench end to make them easier to put on/off, FYI.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Administrator

"Cap" type wrench that pushes onto the bottom of the filter, and engages the flats on the filter works well. Typically with a 3/8" of 1/2" square hole in the bottom to allow you to use a ratchet. Not all filters have the "flats" on the end though.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM

I have not touched the filter yet so I have no idea if it is possible for me to remove it by hand. I do however, believe I want to use a K&N filter. I used one on my sister's Equinox and it seemed to be a smooth process.

Injuneer, could you possibly post a link or picture of the tool you are referring to?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:03 PM

I have an old cloth strap type I use with a 1/2 drive 6" extension and ratchet to break them off. I have long tubes and no issues other than having to put oil diapers on the collector to catch drips.

Similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-KDT31.../dp/B000VS9O80

Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28k&N
I have not touched the filter yet so I have no idea if it is possible for me to remove it by hand. I do however, believe I want to use a K&N filter. I used one on my sister's Equinox and it seemed to be a smooth process.

Injuneer, could you possibly post a link or picture of the tool you are referring to?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 PM

I always used the metal style strap wrench.too each his oen
Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies, the tool that injuneer suggested seems like it should work easily.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:52 AM

Tough to find unless you have the filter in hand

The problem with this type is you have to find the one (out of several) that actually fits.

Then to make matters worse, the filters from different companies for the same engine are often different sizes.

To get the one that fits this application you could do several things. One, measure from one flat surface to the opposite flat surface and that measurement together with the number of flats is the wrench you need. They are sold by diameter and number of flats.

Or you could find the same brand that is installed on the engine new in a store and carry it to the tool isle to try out which one fits on the end of the filter.

Or you can buy a "kit" of these that has more than one and hope one of them fits.

Incidentally, the K&N brand oil filters have a 1" hex on the bottom that allows the use of 1" socket to get them off and this type of wrench won't work.

Last edited by Guest47904; 02-20-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 AM

I've never had a fitment issue with the one above, but good points are made. I actually never have to use a wrench, because I can remove mine by hand.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Best bet is to try it by hand first, then if it doesn't come off jam a screw driver through it at an angle you can use to twist it loose.

THEN make sure you only hand tighten it when you put the new filter on, as your not supposed to tighten the filters so tight that you actually need a wrench.

PS - Remember to lube up the the gasket on the new filter with a little oil (I use a few dabs of the old oil) prior to installing.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Administrator

I decided I liked the "cap" when I had a crappy Fram filter that had galled to the adapter threads, and wouldn't come off. Strap wrench collapsed the really thin can, screwdriver just tore the thin can. The only thing that worked was the cap with sheet metal screws added to three of the flats and screwed into the can. That was the last Fram I ever bought. And yes, it was only hand-tightened when installed.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 96 Z 28
PS - Remember to lube up the the gasket on the new filter with a little oil (I use a few dabs of the old oil) prior to installing.
Do you have to use oil to lube it even if it is 'prelubed'? The k&n filter that I used on my sister's car said it was prelubed and I used the wrench to get the filter 'snug', as the one from the factory was on there TIGHT.

Last edited by 97z28k&N; 02-20-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 AM

I always prelub regardless of what the filter says. My last filter was on there pretty good from the oil change place. I had to use the strap to get it off. The STP filter I put on turned 5 times easy, then stopped. I thought it was on, started the car and BOOM, oil everywhere. I had 2 more turns to go with my wrench before it stopped. Adapter threads looked fine.

I took the rest of the STP filters I bought back and bought an ACDelco for my next change.

With the strap, you can't just put all the weight on it, you ride a fine line and go with the filter turning. If you just wrench on the tool, it will crush the filter like a pop can. I have a set of oil filter wrenches in my tool box, but I've never used it on the TA. May try it on the next change.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28k&N
Do you have to use oil to lube it even if it is 'prelubed'? The k&n filter that I used on my sister's car said it was prelubed and I used the wrench to get the filter 'snug', as the one from the factory was on there TIGHT.
I agree with above, I always pre-lube too, but I also use Amsoil Filters on all my cars, so no issues with thin filter walls.

Quick Reply: oil filter removal