LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil ALL through my PCV system!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 04:45 PM

Oil ALL through my PCV system!

Well, today was a nice 80degree day so I dediced to do some my usual summer tune stuff. I changed my oil, tranny fluid, rearend fluid all to royal purple. Flushed the coolent and changed the O2s(cause their old) and sea foam my car. BTW...the passanger sice O2 took me almost 2 hrs to get out, drivers side was about a 5 min job. Anyhow, while seafoaming my car I noticed a lot of oil in my intake behind the TB blades. Well, I checked the hose that goes from the TB into the passanger side valve covers elbow thing. It was all covered in oil as was the TB nipple. Isnt flow supposed to go from the TB to the valve cover?? Not the other way around?!? Well, then I decided to check the actual PCV valve(driver side) to see if it was stuck shut or something. I pull it out and oil starts dripping out of the little hole on the valve so fast that I had to get a towl. There must have been half a shots worth of oil in my PCV valve...WTF. The valve itself seems perfectly fine...it rattles and moves when I blow on it. So...my question is, Where the hell is all this oil coming from if my valve is perfectly fine? Also, could all this oil going into my intake be responsible for my pinging/detonation problems I have been having? I can only imagine how much oil must be in my intake . Also, FWIW...I dont THINK(key word) its anytype of blowby because my exhaust smoke is perfect (color wise and smell) and theres not excessive pressure or breathing type sounds with the oil cap off. Let me hear your ideas. Thanks

edit: my cars oil pressure was also a little higher than usual (at about little beyone 40psi that whle time I was driving never went below it at all). But then I drove it later and it was acting normal.

Last edited by n2oTransAmLT1; 04-15-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:24 PM

PCV = positive crankcase ventilation..... that means your intake sucks air from the crank case... and that means it gets oil vapor, which in turn collects and becomes oil...

Every PCV-equipped car I've ever had has sucked oil into the intake. You'd think this couldn't be good for the environment, eh? heh... Solution: Put a K&N breather on the valve cover and get rid of the PCV... but that might make you fail emissions visual inspection if you have that.

-Michael
Old 04-15-2003, 06:55 PM

This topic needs a little more discussion, I remember a couple years back on this board there was a bit of a debate over the valve cover breather thing. I was just about to buy one when I came across some really good info against it. I can't remember exactly what it is, but I'm sure someone on here will know it. So my reply will bump you back up and lets hope some of the engine guru's find this and reply.
As to your problem, I have no clue
Old 04-15-2003, 07:05 PM

Actually that hose you mention FEEDS the crankcase air from the TB [the PCV valve is on the drivers side intake]
It tends to 'reverse' under hard acceleration, and blow oil into the hose[ and intake, etc]
If you remove it, and add a Valve Cover breather, you then introduce UNMETERED AIR into the motor...[ not really a good idea..]
Some add a filter in the hose, and it catches a lot of that oil, tho...
Do a search... this has been discussed recently, and Injuneer Fred made some good points etc..
Charlie

Did a search on PCV in LT1 tech theres a LOT of stuff..
Here's a few:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...&highlight=PCV

Last edited by Mtrhds94Z; 04-15-2003 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:46 PM

As was just said, the PCV valve is on the drivers side intake manifold, about midway. Not on the valve cover.
Not saying you didn't know that. Just wanted to clarify incase people were confused as to it's location.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:17 PM

Yes...I know where the PCV valve is. If you would all read my post more carefully, youll see that I talked about my "PCV valve on the drivers side(being perfectly fine)" and the hose that goes to vavle cover elbow from the TB. I understand how that whole system works. Anyhow, I am not going to use any breathers. It seems that would mess up the computers calculations. Also, I did a search and read 3 pages of posts prior to posting this question. I guess, all I was basically asking is...do I have more oil in mine than there is "supposed" to be? I mean, when I pulled the PCV valve out(on the driver side, duh) at least a teaspoons worth of oil pured out the hole. Oh well, either way...Im going to pull my intake in a week or so and fix that damn intake leak I have always had anyhow. I guess Ill clean all the crap up while i have it apart.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:27 PM

Re-evaluate after you have done your intake leak fix. Perhaps that is contributing to the problem. Get it all cleaned out while you have the intake off and then see how it does after you have run it again for a while.