LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

No start . Getting big ark from coil ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 PM

No start . Getting big ark from coil ?

My 1994 z28 is a great car and love it so much . and has really been trouble free for almost 14 months now . and today no start .

I had a freind try to crank it later and i was looking under the hood , and there was a very big ark coming of the coil going to the block ?

where should i start . i worked all day today . and its too cold to go outside and look around ?

maybe its time for a new wire set . or do coils just go bad . its like all the sudden this happend . i drive it almost every day , even drove it yesterday . no other thime this happen ?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:32 PM

If the coil is arcing to the block then no spark is getting to the plugs. Sounds like a new coil is in order.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:32 PM

Change the coil wire first. And yes coils can go bad. so if the wire doesnt fix it chances are it is a coil problem. I had a similer problem and it was just my coil wire luckly i had plenty of old ones laying around
Old 01-11-2008, 03:23 AM
solarofthesix

yea I had something similar go haywire on mine but it was at the optiside of the wire. get a new wire and that should fix it. If not get a coil. goto Oriley's if you have one near you they have a good price on the MSD Blaster coils. Also a reccomendation is to mount the coil somewhere else other than on the head. same with the ICM. The amount of head comming form there is insane and was causing me to get a higher RPM studder when the car was warm.

also if you have one of the MSD Ignition Boxes you will have to get different wires as the stock solid cores will burst arcs like you mentioned all over

Old 01-11-2008, 09:46 AM

check to see if you are getting spark to the plugs with a spark tester or the old fashion way of pulling a plug and grounding it to the block and cranking it over, #1 is the easiest to get to. if you are getting spark there is still the possibilty that your ICM is not working that it out and take it to an auto parts store and have them check it, if it turns out ot be bad don't buy it from there go to a gm dealer and get it there it doesn't cost much more
Old 01-11-2008, 10:15 AM

Sounds like the coil split at the terminal post. Had that happend to mine years ago.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 PM

Update !

Today i Replaced the Coil with a new accel coil . but i repaired the coil wire with a new boot end . and still no start ? and now the arc is gone and the sound of the arcing. still no start . What about a ICM how do i know if i need one ? what else should i check ? i will also order a complete taylor plug wire set . but for now what else can i check tommrow ?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:38 PM

i tried using a voltmeter with a beep when it make contact with both probes and i cant get current threw my coil wire . so i guess this is the promblem ?

iam going order a plug wire set then .
Old 01-16-2008, 11:32 PM

UPDATE. I replaced the coil wire and that was the promblem with the combonation of a corodated coil terminal . Since i replaced the Coil and Coil Wire she fired right up , aswell a big smile on my face " I can drive my car to work tommrow " . So with a new Accell Super coil and just a new coil wire . she runing better then ever seems like it has better power to . because it was such a bad conection . ad heard a tap and thought it was a lifter or exhaust leak . but i think it was the arking wire , becuase it was not a consit tick . and i cant hear the tick anymore . but i have only listened a little tonight . anyways tomrmrow i will replace the other wire all eight hopefully at work . i can stand under it i have a pit at work . and ill bring alot of tie straps .