LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

No spark on new engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 06:56 PM

No spark on new engine

We just got my friends 383 LT1 w/ ported heads an cc306, and hooker LT's installed recently. I moved out of town since we put it in the car, but he is having trouble geting it to start. It is not getting spark.

I remember that when he first put it in, he had troubles getting it to turn over. It would turn, but not quickly and properly. One of his friends had done something with some of the wiring down by the starter. At this point, I am "pretty sure" it was getting spark. We did not have the coil wire hooked to the opti, and I think I recall seeing arcing from the coil wire to the motor.

Well, with that wiring by the starter, there was a black wire, that was on there that we dont think was supposed to be. I believe it had a grey or white tracer. It was atatched to the starter solenoid at this point, and I dont think it should have been. When we removed it, it cranked over fine, but we are not getting spark. He told me that they thought they found it in a diagram and that it was a ground, but I still question that. He has it grounded at this point though. He is not getting an spark from the coil to the opti at all. Does anyone know what that wire could have been, or any other ideas on why the car would not be getting spark?

If you have any questions about anything else on the car let me know, but right now, I dont know, and I cant be there to do hands on testing.

Thanks
Ben
Old 11-30-2004, 07:21 PM

Re: No spark on new engine

I have not encountered this problem very often, but i just got done doing a motor swap on my buddies 95 and ran into this problem once. but there was a ground wire that grounds the coil itself, that might be your problem, plus check you r connections that plug into the coil itself, also the motor has to have a ground from from it to the chasis ground. try those checks and if it still has no spark, pm a guy on the board by the name of taner and he might be able to help. in the mean time i will try to think of anything else that would cuase this.