LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:39 PM

no oil pressure

Just finished replacing oil pump, pick up tube and the intermittent shaft. All made my melling. Started it up let it run for a minute to see if the pressure would build still have no psi. Pulled filter off filled the filter with oil. The connected mechanical gauge and started it again still have 0 psi. Finally pulled the driver side valve cover to see if there was any oil getting up there. Was bone dry. Thinking made the pick up tube angle is wrong. I just rather have some input before taking everything back apart.
96 lt1 z28
Old 07-10-2016, 10:59 AM

Re: no oil pressure

Originally Posted by black96camar
Just finished replacing oil pump, pick up tube and the intermittent shaft. All made my melling. Started it up let it run for a minute to see if the pressure would build still have no psi. Pulled filter off filled the filter with oil. The connected mechanical gauge and started it again still have 0 psi. Finally pulled the driver side valve cover to see if there was any oil getting up there. Was bone dry. Thinking made the pick up tube angle is wrong. I just rather have some input before taking everything back apart.
96 lt1 z28

Under the intake manifold there is a gear that spins the pump from the cam. When I pulled the engine apart the teeth on the gear were almost completely worn out.
If that does not spin, the oil pump will not spin.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:39 PM

The gear was replaced was the first thing I did before I changed the oil pump forgot to put that in there
Old 07-10-2016, 04:18 PM

it sounds like you somehow did not get the shaft engaged in either the oil pump or drive gear

I would not run the motor anymore. You could pull manifold and get a drill driven oil pump shaft and use drill to see if you get any oil pressure that way. If so you know the pump and PU is good/working so then confirm proper install of drive shaft & gear from up top
Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Alright I'm try that also gonna check my clearance on my pickup tube
Old 07-10-2016, 07:42 PM

I can't imagine that you could have the pickup so high that it would not reach some oil.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:50 PM

That's what I'm thinking I just pulled it all apart putting it back togther. Made sure I have the shafts lined up just right and that I have no gap between the oil pump and the mounting bracket
Old 07-10-2016, 10:44 PM

Got it back together, still have no oil pressure. I'm stumped with why it's doing this, had no problems with it before it sat for 6 months
Old 07-11-2016, 01:04 AM

Done a lot of reading and everyone, that has this problem is usally the filter clogged, pick up rude fell off. Or something with the drive gear/shaft. I replaced everything with the oil system. I'm going to try priming the system tommorow, would like some input on what else could it be, also no oil is even making it to the oil filter.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 AM

if you had the pump out you could have spun it with a drill using a SBC prime rod tool with the pump pick up in a container of oil to see if he pump itself works. Actually should be able to spin it by hand

I assume the motor is in the car so pulling pan & oil pump is no small task which is why I suggested pulling the manifold and using the prime tool from up top to see if the oil pump works.

Unlikely the pump is bad out of box but possible. The pick up would have to be really jammed against the bottom of pan to prevent it from picking up some oil, if you can even jam a pick up against pan enough to prevent it from picking up oil..or WAY high to be above 5 qts of oil in the pan.

my guess is you either have a bad pump or are not engaging the oil pump drive shaft
Old 07-11-2016, 11:21 AM

The pump works I try ed it when I took it back out in a qt of oil I was gonna use. Today I'll try to prime it, or do u really need to have the priming tool?
Old 07-11-2016, 11:35 AM

Priming tool is the best way to make sure oil circulates in the block. So, can you confirm that you replaced or inspected the drive assy that is under the intake (you said you replaced everything)?
Old 07-11-2016, 11:53 AM

Yes replaced everything I'm order the priming tool and try that
Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 PM

you will need to pull intake, remove drive gear and dive shaft and use the prime tool on a drill to engage your oil pump. While you should see pressure building soon, it takes time for the oil to get pumped all the way up to rockers
Old 07-22-2016, 09:56 AM

So I got the tool finally, been busy at work. But last night took intake off and try ed to prime it I got oil coming out the drive gear hole but no were else

Quick Reply: no oil pressure