News on Mosers' Death

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:16 PM

News on Mosers' Death

Sunday, May 18, 2003

Portland residents die in plane crash
By JAY KENWORTHY
news@thestarpress.com
PORTLAND - Four Portland residents - including Greg A. Moser, founder of Moser Engineering and one of the city's leading philanthropists - died when their four-passenger airplane crashed in South Carolina, authorities said Saturday.

Moser, 50; his 49-year-old wife, Marianne, and another Portland couple, Jeff A. and Eileen Bickel, were killed in the crash, which occurred about 4 p.m. Friday in Allendale, S.C.

The single-engine, home-built aircraft was flown by Greg Moser, and had left Portland Municipal Airport about 2 hours earlier.

The group's intended destination had been Beaufort, S.C., about 50 miles southeast of the crash site.

An official with from the Federal Aviation Administration said Saturday the cause of the accident remained under investigation. The Associated Press reported thunderstorms were moving through the area at the time of the crash.

Portland-based Moser Engineering manufactures racing components. Greg Moser, an avid racing fan, revolutionized the way vehicle axles are manufactured by developing a process that shortened the standard 4-to-6-week turnaround to only 2 days.

Jon Bennett, a spokesman for the engineering company, said Saturday that Moser would be remembered for his philanthropic nature and the comfortable work environment that he created for his 38 employees.

"The majority of the shop employees looked up to him as not only a role model, but somewhat of a father figure," Bennett said. "He didn't refer to employees as workers, he called them his 'boys.' "

Marianne Moser co-owned the business and ran the company during its first four years of existence. Bennett said Marianne's business sense and Greg's engineering expertise made the company a success.

Jeff Bickel, 48, was the plant manager at Moser Engineering, and had worked there since 1990. His wife Eileen worked at Bearcreek Farms near Bryant.

"Their leadership, kindness, and generosity shown towards others can never be replaced," Moser Engineering officials said of both couples in a prepared statement.

Greg Moser had led many local civic organizations, including the Portland United Way, the Portland Rotary Club and the Jay County Development Board.

Members of the Moser family issued a statement Saturday, along with a request for privacy.

"We will never be able to express the pain associated with the tragic loss of our parents, grandparents and friends," the statement said. "Their love and devotion will be missed."

Bennett said Moser Engineering would not halt production. The company will likely be overseen by Rob Moser, son of the company's founders, he said.

In a March interview, Greg Moser told The Star Press he had no plans to move his business from Portland, despite having a customer base that was almost entirely outside of Jay County.

"It's like an extended family," he said. "We're all intertwined. The work ethic of my employees is the main reason I stay in Jay County. And it's a very safe place to live and raise a family."
Old 05-18-2003, 01:21 PM

Ver, Very Sad.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by CSJTA
Ver, Very Sad.
thats sad
Old 05-18-2003, 01:36 PM

Unhappy

So many people are dying, its ridiculous.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:56 PM

Unhappy

Who would think the guy who we all of think of when we think of good axles would just die ina freak accident. I feel aweful for all the people involved and they have my condolences.

Old 05-18-2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by neil350
So many people are dying, its ridiculous.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:30 PM

Wow, that's terrible!! I was just in a private plane like they were in just an hour ago. You definitely do not want to be in one in bad weather, it can get dangerous quickly.

John
Old 05-18-2003, 03:41 PM

thats absolutely horrible, i feel bad and give my condolenses to the families.

jake
Old 05-18-2003, 03:50 PM

I don' t know if it was the weather or what? There were just a couple of guys from down south my wife sold cars to that were building a new plane for him. Wonder if it was that one or his old one?
Old 05-18-2003, 03:59 PM
GP Moderator

That sucks.....very sad. I was definately a supporter of them, I have a fully loaded Moser 12-bolt in my car. Their customer service seemed to be good every time I needed to contact them.

Not to sound like a materialistic pig, but what is to happen to the business? Will it now just close and go under, or will others pick up where he left off?
Old 05-18-2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Joe Brodman
That sucks.....very sad. I was definately a supporter of them, I have a fully loaded Moser 12-bolt in my car. Their customer service seemed to be good every time I needed to contact them.

Not to sound like a materialistic pig, but what is to happen to the business? Will it now just close and go under, or will others pick up where he left off?
Bennett said Moser Engineering would not halt production. The company will likely be overseen by Rob Moser, son of the company's founders, he said.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:09 AM

Wow. I had just talked to him a week or two ago about some parts. Incredible.