LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New Opti, ICM, Coil, Stater, Wires, Plugs, still NO start

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:34 PM

Thumbs down New Opti, ICM, Coil, Stater, Wires, Plugs, still NO start

Ok I did learn alot about my LT1 during this time. I have owned 5 LT1 F-Bodies and this is the 1st one ever did so much work on myself. Anyway I have a new opti,starter,ignition control module,plugs wires,battery and it still wont crank over. I also cleaned all the grounds and fusible links and everything with battery cleaner solution and nada. Sometimes it feels like its going to crank over but it never does. Also the lights dim/flicker when i'm trying to start her up and when its trying to crank i hear like a wierd noise sounding like metal grinding metal. I really dont want to have it towed to a dealership but i havent driven her in a good 5 months and im getting desperate. Just been putting alot of miles on my 2001 SS which I hate doing. At this point im ready just to put my fist thru the window but i do love the car. Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-25-2006, 08:08 PM

Re: New OPTI,ICM,COIL,STARTER,WIRES,PLUGS still NO start!! i give the hell up..

try taking the belt off and starting it, mine had a similar sounding problem but it was a frozen a/c compressor.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Taintedz28
alternator maybe?
Can you please tell me why a car wouldnt start because the alternator is bad

CJMatt

I will try that in the morn. Thanks
Old 05-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CJ Black LS1 Z28 M6
Ok I did learn alot about my LT1 during this time. I have owned 5 LT1 F-Bodies and this is the 1st one ever did so much work on myself. Anyway I have a new opti,starter,ignition control module,plugs wires,battery and it still wont crank over. I also cleaned all the grounds and fusible links and everything with battery cleaner solution and nada. Sometimes it feels like its going to crank over but it never does. Also the lights dim/flicker when i'm trying to start her up and when its trying to crank i hear like a wierd noise sounding like metal grinding metal. I really dont want to have it towed to a dealership but i havent driven her in a good 5 months and im getting desperate. Just been putting alot of miles on my 2001 SS which I hate doing. At this point im ready just to put my fist thru the window but i do love the car. Any help would be appreciated

sounds like you replaced alot of parts........but did you trouble shoot the problem?????? Do you even know if your still getting spark??? is the ECU alive???? hows the fuel pressure????
Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 PM

battery fully charged?

did the snout break off the starter....it happened to me and i had the same symtoms as you.

try running a wire straight to the starter and see if that works.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:56 PM

had a 94 burban, the bearings in the altenator fried on the wife one night,She thought the brakes were smelling, next morning, it just barely turned over and had a grinding sound..wouldn't start. as CJMATT sugested, take off the belt and give it a try...

Atomatic or standard?

What lead up to it not wanting to start...

1971 Camaro, roller cam 454 LS6, tremec TKO 600, 2.56 gears, berlineta t-top, New Mexico plate "RAT454"
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 PM

You said it won't crank over. As is you turn the key and nothing?? Provided the battery isn't dead (we've all been there at some point) have you thought about the ignition switch or vats being an issue?? Is it throwing a security light or anything (if not would kinda rule out vats).

After re-reading your post, see if you can turn the motor over by hand to make sure it's not seized. You can battery direct jump the alternator to make sure it's engaging properly also. Could be the solenoid on the starter, could be a bad battery if the lights are taking a major dim (I went through that, battery would show a charge but almost completely discharge when the ignition was keyed).
Old 05-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Banned

Sounds like the dealer needs to look at this car before you blow anymore cash, or let it sit broke some more.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:13 AM

Definitely need more details. Answer the questions asked and maybe we can narrow it down after that.

Benji
Old 05-26-2006, 05:09 PM

Hey everyone

Well to answer some of the questions. I didnt check fuel pressure.That is something i need to do. When i put the key in and turn the security light doesnt stay lit. The Battery is new but to rule out a battery i did try the one out of my SS same deal. The Starter is new. Also i owned a Lt1 Z that the igntion switch went dead on. That car the nothing happened when i put the key in and twisted so i kinda ruled out that.

Fastbird93,

How are you liking the vette? Glad to see you are ok. I havent talked to you since before the war in Iraq. Wanna take a drive down to AC and help me push this car in the bay cause its pissing me off
Old 05-26-2006, 05:42 PM

Hey, the Vette is great. I love it every time I get behind the seat.

If you want, I can try to swing down to A/C sometime and see if I can't help you out. You're only about 40 minutes away from me, and I could use an excuse to hit A/C up with the wife.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:56 PM

LOL yea if I dont get this figured out by Tuesday Im going to get raped by the dealership because Im going to end up spending cash to get it towed and fixed by them
Old 05-26-2006, 06:37 PM

Well, I got nothing going on between now and tuesday other than zaino for the Vette and scanning a buddies car, so if you want a hand let me know.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CJ Black LS1 Z28 M6
LOL yea if I dont get this figured out by Tuesday Im going to get raped by the dealership because Im going to end up spending cash to get it towed and fixed by them
well if the dealership replaced your opti ICM COIL PLUGS and WIRES, and your car still didn't run..........you would have gotten all those parts for free...instead of spending the few hundred bucks that you did. Sometimes its better just to get it off your back and done with then to shotgun expensive LT1 parts at it.

If you know whats up by all means do it yourself....but i wouldn't call it a rape when your baffled.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by hey01
well if the dealership replaced your opti ICM COIL PLUGS and WIRES, and your car still didn't run..........you would have gotten all those parts for free...instead of spending the few hundred bucks that you did. Sometimes its better just to get it off your back and done with then to shotgun expensive LT1 parts at it.

If you know whats up by all means do it yourself....but i wouldn't call it a rape when your baffled.
How do you figure he'd get them for free?? Those parts cost money, were put on his car, and he had to have agreed to it prior to the work being done. If it didn't fix it then it didn't fix it, but that doesn't mean all the work and parts that went into trying to fix it are free.

Quick Reply: New Opti, ICM, Coil, Stater, Wires, Plugs, still NO start