LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New Opti, ICM, Coil, Stater, Wires, Plugs, still NO start

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:02 AM

Re: New OPTI,ICM,COIL,STARTER,WIRES,PLUGS still NO start!! i give the hell up..

Check your fuel pressure regulator, your fuel injector fuses, and I forgot if you checked your fuel filter.

Depending on which way your FPR breaks, it could start and run like trash, or not start at all. Considering you replaced all your ignition stuff, fuel is my guess where you should be looking next.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:13 AM

I had a problem like this with my car because I tried and tried to start it with for such a long time and it never started. The cylinders ended up sort of "freezing", I guess. I pulled all of the spark plugs, pulled the fuel pump fuse and coil wire, and cranked it over for a few minutes. That got the oil circulating and freed the motor up. I put everything back together and it cranked fine. Give that a try. Good luck.

Benji
Old 05-27-2006, 10:21 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im going to go out now and try to start it without the belt.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
How do you figure he'd get them for free?? Those parts cost money, were put on his car, and he had to have agreed to it prior to the work being done. If it didn't fix it then it didn't fix it, but that doesn't mean all the work and parts that went into trying to fix it are free.

cause the dealer replaced my opti when my coil was bad Im not paying for their fk up, and i didn't
Old 05-27-2006, 12:31 PM

WELL IGNITION FUSES,PCM FUSES ARE GOOD. I TRIED TO START WITHOUT A BELT AND NO GO THIS CAR IS ABOUT TO BE PUSHED INTO THE ATLANTIC OCEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:33 PM

What lead you to believe it was an ignition problem? I bet that if you checked for a good spark before you bought all those parts you would have saved yourself a few hundred bucks. It sounds like a fuel issue to me, but that metal grinding sound you mentioned scares me but it could just be from the motor rotating without enough oil circulating. That's how a cold engine sounds, then once the engine moves fast enough to slosh some oil around it gets quieter. I'd check the pump, regulator, injectors, and all associated fuses. The best way would be to crank it and check the pressure. Either way, don't "shotgun" parts at the car it won't do anything. You need to diagnose the car first... shotgun some diagnostic tools if you want to help you figure it out, but throwing parts at the car will only drain your walet.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 96 WS6
What lead you to believe it was an ignition problem? I bet that if you checked for a good spark before you bought all those parts you would have saved yourself a few hundred bucks. It sounds like a fuel issue to me, but that metal grinding sound you mentioned scares me but it could just be from the motor rotating without enough oil circulating. That's how a cold engine sounds, then once the engine moves fast enough to slosh some oil around it gets quieter. I'd check the pump, regulator, injectors, and all associated fuses. The best way would be to crank it and check the pressure. Either way, don't "shotgun" parts at the car it won't do anything. You need to diagnose the car first... shotgun some diagnostic tools if you want to help you figure it out, but throwing parts at the car will only drain your walet.
Well i wasnt throwing cash away. These parts had over 115,000 miles on them and were 12 years old so i didnt mind doing this. Now if i did this on a prob i had on my 01 SS I would have issues
Old 05-27-2006, 02:24 PM

Pull the plugs and make sure it turns over by hand. Then try to crank it w/out the plugs in, like I said earlier. Then you'll know if the motor is seized for some reason or another. Also inspect the flexplate to make sure the teeth look good and that your starter isn't tearing it up.

Benji
Old 05-27-2006, 03:14 PM

What does "it won't crank" actually mean? If you mean that the engine wont turn over, I would check the starter. Check the electrical first and then check to see if it is actually engaging the flywheel. If you used an aftermarket starter, it may need to be shimmed for proper engagement. Also, I have to say it, but are you sure that nothing went into the motor during these parts changes, especially a fluid. Unlikely, I know. Also, check for shorts in the electrical. You might want to check to make sure your firing order is correct. It may be trying to fire the wrong cylinder.

If you mean that it will crank, but wont fire, check all of your connections, especially those on the front of the motor. If you have a scanner, plug it in and see what it tells you. If not, beg, borrow, steal one. Last resort, put the old parts back on and see if it fixes the problem. If it does then add one at a time to see which is the problem and correct. If not, take it to the dealer or local shop.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:04 PM

Crank the engine by hand. Maybe drop a bit of oil in from the top to help. I had my engine "freeze" similar to what the guy posted above. I thought it was toast, a really weird issue. Its never done that since. I had replaced the starter and checked hte battery at the time... Was very weird.

Clarify a bit more on the not crank bit too... Do you hear the alternator try and engage at all? Does it turn a very very little bit and stop? Does it turn and not catch?

Until you trouble shoot the problem better your going to do nothing but keep throwing parts at it until you get lucky
Old 05-27-2006, 05:17 PM

well when you said the lights flicker altenator came to mind.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:34 AM

go buy a fuel pressure gauge at autozone for 30 bucks,

your fuel pump might have died,
make someone listen for it the first 2 seconds when u turn the key to "ON"
Old 05-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Banned

go get a video cam and film the problem

nobody is getting enough discription on the "won't start" issue so we are all throwing out 1,000 of things that could be wrong.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 AM

make sure that when you or whoever installed the new starter that they didn't accidentally put the PCM ground wire on the starter instead of the block...we put my new engine in and i accientally wired that to my starter...couldn't get it started for the life of me...then we checked it..found it...and then started it and it started the first time...
Old 05-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

sell it to an unsuspecting highschooler, that will solve your problem.

Quick Reply: New Opti, ICM, Coil, Stater, Wires, Plugs, still NO start