LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New member.....new ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:12 AM

Cool New member.....new ride

I've been coming to this site for about a year and finally decided to join and post. First off, it's a great site with some killer videos. I currently have a 70 Camaro that I bracket race. It runs mid to low 10's depending on the weather. I've been wanting a street toy though and now I finally have one. I just purchased a '97 Trans Am. It's bone stock except for 3.73's in the rear end and a Flowmaster. It doesn't even have a K&N. I know of a couple of things to do to the car to pick it up but some of you guys could save me alot of trial and error with your advice. I don't know what the car runs in stock trim, but it feels like somewhere in the mid to upper 13's. It's an automatic also. I would like to get the car to around 12.20's or so. What are some of the best add-ons that would get me there. I know a converter is needed but don't know what size and brand. Is there anything I could do without going into the motor or spraying it to get me where I want to be. Injectors? What size? Computer? What kind? etc, etc. I would also like to lower the car slightly. What is the best suspension products to go with? Thanks for all the replies and advice.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM

Re: New member.....new ride

The intake box can be replaced with a Moroso or K&N box or others. You will find some on the classified section for sale, (used) lower prices are the bonus. The Flowmaster is not my choice. Probably should go with headers for the low 12's, Long tubes with no emissions and true duals if you can. If you want just a cat-back on the manifolds it should be a larger pipe behind the cat than what my old Flowmaster cat-back had. A Hooker cat-back is a good one. A good mail-order computer tune should be done after all improvements are installed. Some rear lower control arms and a torque arm at least for the rear. You already know good tires so I just wasted typing letters on that. Some others could help on the auto tranny stuff. Welcome aboard and good luck with the f-body.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:46 PM

lowing the car will only hurt your 60' times so i would not waste the money, get your self a cold air intake (as posted above) long tube headers (as posted above again) pace setters are a good header for the price, 1.6 rockers, trans-go shift kit, you have gears already and again as posted above rear lower control arms, pan hard bar for the rear end, and a tune and i think you are good for mids 12's.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 PM

I would start off with a full exhaust: headers, off-road y-pipe, and a better catback. As for the injectors, don't waste your money, you won't need them until you add heads/cam or some sort of forced induction. As for the computer, look into a mail-order tune from www.madz28.com or www.pcmsforless.com Avoid the Hypertech handheld programmer, its very expensive and yields little to no power gains. A converter upgrade is a good idea and a stall around 2800-3000 would be suitable for your application. Some other bolt-ons to consider would be an electric water pump and 1.6 ratio roller rocker arms. Still, all these bolt-ons along with a good pair of drag radials may not get you to your goal. If you put a cam in there, that would definitely seal the deal though.