LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New Here w/?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 AM

New Here w/?

Hey guys and gals I am new to the site and looking for some help. i've got a 97 form that I have installed LT4 Hot cam kit in w/Fastchips computer and JetHot LT (Hookers). I have a surging/miss problem I can not locate. Shop says the car is not miss firing and I am at a lose. Anybody in the DFW area know of a good LT1 shop. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:41 AM

Re: New Here w/?

have u got it tuned yet? i am kind of assuming ure gas is running pretty rich to? a good tune might solve the problem.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:26 PM

Yes, I sent the comp to fastchips. But it does run rich, its getting 18.5 mpg combo driving.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:19 PM

Any good Tuners in DFW?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:33 PM

I go to madz28.com or pcmforless.com and get a mail order tune. Get rid of that fastchips crap. madz28 and pcmforless tune WAY more LT1's than fastchips. If that doesnt fix it, you're only out less than 200 bucks and you can go diagnose the problem from there.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:39 PM

I'm leaning towards your tune as well. Both PCMS4less or Madz28 can get you setup with a good tune that will nail your combo pretty closely.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 93redBirdMan
I go to madz28.com or pcmforless.com and get a mail order tune. Get rid of that fastchips crap. madz28 and pcmforless tune WAY more LT1's than fastchips. If that doesnt fix it, you're only out less than 200 bucks and you can go diagnose the problem from there.
Is your dislike of Ed Wright and his tuning capabilities based on your personal experience? His own LT1 says a lot for his capabilities. He's been tuning LT1's since they've been on the market.

In no way diminishing the capabilities of our own Supporting Vendors.... they are proven tuners! But to suggest Ed is "crap" is a bit on the ridiculous side.

Before spending money on tuning, find out if that's even the problem. Its so easy to tune for the HOT cam that its unlikely the tune is at fault. I'd rule out mechanical problems. Hard to believe that the miss is not showing up on a scan.... you should be able to pull up a misfire count by individual cylinder.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the input guys. There are no miss fires on the scan. The car ran rich to the smell before i sent the comp to Ed (Fastchips) which I was told would happen. Fastchips said tht the tune would clear all these issues up. It has not, the car runs extermly rich to the smell, my 5 yr old daughter even complains that the car stinks like gas and would rather go fast in the Lightning. Anyway I have tried to get the car inspected and the systems show not ready. When I called FC to ask if the tune could be an issue i was told that It was not the issue that I must have another problem. I am not trying to bash anyone I just want the car to run right, It just does not fell like a 400 hp car at this point. Plus I am going to have to sell it soon and would like to see the full potential before its gone.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Is your dislike of Ed Wright and his tuning capabilities based on your personal experience? His own LT1 says a lot for his capabilities. He's been tuning LT1's since they've been on the market.
I have a feeling alot of the "new school" guys have no clue who Ed Wright is and that he is FastChips.

They probably think FastChips is the equivalent of SuperChips or something along those lines.....

Those of us who have been around a while know better