LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need Urgent HELP, crank hub is stuck on bad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 01:08 PM

Need Urgent HELP, crank hub is stuck on bad!!!

I am in the process of doing my heads/cam install, and my installer and I have come accross the problems. We are using the proper 3 bolt puller on the hub, and while we were trying to pull the hub, one of the ears broke off. What can we do now?? We are trying to grind it down a little bit, and then trying to split it with a chisel. Can someone help me PLEASE, we are desperate for help to get this POS off. We have been trying to get it off for about 3 hours now. Well I will be waiting.

Brian
Old 03-08-2003, 02:58 PM
96z

When I took mine off I heated the $hit out if it and it finally came off...
Old 03-08-2003, 03:08 PM

Lightbulb Re: Need Urgent HELP, crank hub is stuck on bad!!!

Originally posted by Camaro90RS
I am in the process of doing my heads/cam install, and my installer and I have come accross the problems. We are using the proper 3 bolt puller on the hub, and while we were trying to pull the hub, one of the ears broke off. What can we do now?? We are trying to grind it down a little bit, and then trying to split it with a chisel. Can someone help me PLEASE, we are desperate for help to get this POS off. We have been trying to get it off for about 3 hours now. Well I will be waiting.

Brian
No flame but did you take out the center bolt? If so then are you using an impact gun? I was in your boat last spring. Then I got a compressor & used an impact gun & soaked with tons of pen oil. It eventually came off with the impact gun.

Also It may not be such a good Idea to get that crankshaft to hot. Some other things may not like that...
Just a heads up for you.

Good Luck
Old 03-08-2003, 03:20 PM

Re: Re: Need Urgent HELP, crank hub is stuck on bad!!!

Originally posted by Smokn '94 Z
No flame but did you take out the center bolt?

Good Luck
and add a longer bolt in its place? If you just remove the bolt and insert the puller you will be pulling against the hub itself which will break something.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:24 PM

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Need Urgent HELP, crank hub is stuck on bad!!!

Originally posted by Buttercup
and add a longer bolt in its place? If you just remove the bolt and insert the puller you will be pulling against the hub itself which will break something.
Thanks. I was about to add that.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need Urgent HELP, crank hub is stuck on bad!!!

Originally posted by Smokn '94 Z
Thanks. I was about to add that.

LOL
Old 03-08-2003, 07:14 PM

Speaking for Brian, thanks for the replies, but we got it off and we are getting a spare tomorrow. All is well, the motor is coming back together, heads are on, headers are on, the timing chain is on, after we get a new hub the rest will be on there lickity split. Expect pics later tonight of our current progress. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:34 PM

Ya know I am doing a hotcam kit now. (I'm a newbie) Anyway, my hayes manual doesn't say to removel the center bolt. It goes straight to putting the puller on. I just felt in there and noticed that their was a bolt. I guess I was lucky. I can see how it can happen though.

http://photos.yahoo.com/jeffdobbins2000

Jeff D.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:50 PM

Ok, as I said, you'd get pics. So here they are:

What the car started out as.

The new painted intake. - It looks lots better in person.

The Hooker Long Tube Headers

Down to the block, about the time we started messing with the crank hub.

This is how the car is sitting right now, ported heads and headers on, cam in.

Better shot of the driver side header.

Better shot of the passenger side header.

That is all for now, the car will be up and running tomorrow. I'll have pics of the completed project and some vids if anyone is willing to host them.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:19 PM

Well guys, we eventually found our problem when were cutting of the hub . We didnt realize at first that you need to keep the crank bolt in, and we were trying to pull the hub off with the bolt completely out. Once I called a few buddies that have built some LT1's, he told me about the bolt. Once the bolt was in there, we were able to pull the hub off using only 2 bolts. I was so pissed with the hub, I threw it out in the field behind the house. But all is good, and I am getting a hub tomorrow morning, and the car "should" be running tomorrow afternoon some time. Again I thank you guys for the imediate help you gave me, and I will post back tomorrow after we get more done. Thanks again.

Brian
Old 03-08-2003, 11:43 PM

I would hate to be the guy who is going to hit that hub with a mower blade. BAM!@!
Old 03-08-2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Camaro90RS
Well guys, we eventually found our problem when were cutting of the hub . We didnt realize at first that you need to keep the crank bolt in, and we were trying to pull the hub off with the bolt completely out. Once I called a few buddies that have built some LT1's, he told me about the bolt. Once the bolt was in there, we were able to pull the hub off using only 2 bolts.

Brian
I figured this might be your problem. For future reference however do not use the stock bolt to remove the balancer. Go to the hardware store and pick up several longer lengths to use, otherwise you risk mangling the threads in the crankshaft... another common mistake which is more serious.