LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need Suggestions South florida 95 Z28 Vert A4

Old 06-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Need Suggestions South florida 95 Z28 Vert A4

Whats up guys

Ive been a Camaro owner since March, but have barely driven my car its a 1995 Convertible Z28 with 127k miles on it I paid 1200$ for it. As soon as i bought it i did the Oil Change and Tranny Fluid and Filter change one of the bolts broke when sticking the tranny fluid pan back in so i had a friend come over and help me stick silicone in there to seal it we didnt have a drill at the time. I drove the car a couple days and notice its overheating i have my friend come back over to check it and we assume its the thermostat so we go buy one and he installs it runs fine for a couple days then it starts overheating, stalls in the middle of highway and starts smoking i end up pulling it home. I had a different mechanic come check it it was my waterpump that had gone and also my fans stopped turning on so i have to order those parts but a couple days after i start the car and white smoke is coming out the exhaust and i smell something sweet so i pretty sure the head gasket is blown or heads are cracked. I dont know of if all that is worth getting fixed currently cant afford all that until season picks up at my job but if i can i plan on getting GM Waterpump, and Manual fans with switch. If the heads are cracked i think i might go with some LE1s after that im not sure if i should get a new cam because of the mileage. If the heads are cracked what else would i need besides the heads ? & should i have the engine rebuilt? Is the car worth fixing or should i look for a different one . Would love to find a 01-02 Trans Am WS6 im South Florida.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Re: Need Suggestions South florida 95 Z28 Vert A4

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com ! ! !

I'm going to move your post to "LT1 Based Engine Tech"..... best place to get a response on a tech problem like this. Not a lot of tech help in "New Member Intro.....".

Just for added input.... did you buy an LT1-specific t'stat? You can't use a generic one for a small block Chevy, and that's what many parts guy will sell you.

http://shbox.com/1/tstat.jpg

When you replaced the t'stat, did you thoroughly bleed all air out of the cooling system, using the two bleeder screws? Air in the LT1's "reverse flow" cooling system will lead to overheating.

The fans are controlled by the PCM, based on the coolant temp sensor in the water pump housing - both on at low speed at 226-degF, both up to high speed at 235-degF. The fans are supplied direct power, from a fusible link at the red "+" terminal box on the passenger side inner fender, near the battery. Did you check that? There are three relays in the under hood convenience box that control the fans. If those fail, you should get trouble codes - did you scan the PCM for codes?

Cracked heads are rare. Severe overheating will cause the head gasket to fail, due to the differential expansion rate of the aluminum head, cast iron block, and the steel head bolts. You could look at the spark plugs for signs of coolant. or do a compression check. Or wait until you pull the heads. If you want to go with LE1 heads, you have to supply your heads for the work, or pay an extra core charge if he supplies the heads.

I'd say wait 'til you figure out what's wrong before figuring out what else you should do while the heads are off.