LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

need some help with Z06 MAF

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 06:11 PM

need some help with Z06 MAF

ok I just got a brand new oem z06 maf for $60. I am gonna need some help gettin this thing workin...I have a small list of mods but am trying to add 1 thing a month...anyhow this is what I have done so far...you think I should put it on now......or wait till I do more...or put it on now if I can get it running properly...

no cats
ported TB
TB bypass
MSD Super conductor 8.5
MSD Blaster Coil
Trick Flow Elbow
K&N FIPK GenII
93 oct pcm tune
160 thermo

waiting to go in:

NGK TR55IX
Borg Warner o2 sensors
Z06 MAF
Old 11-18-2004, 02:05 PM

Re: need some help with Z06 MAF

I have heard that a Z06 MAF can cause some cars to lose rather than gain if there are no significant mods. Others have said that is helps. To put this is you will need a tune. It is up to you. If you dont like it, you can take it out and put it in later when you have more modifications.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:05 PM

what about the fact that the k&n fipk and also the trickflow elbow are both 3.5" and this is 4"....is there anyway to heat up and stretch the TF Elbow....and the K&N?
Old 11-18-2004, 03:17 PM

IMO and notice i said IMO you are wasting time, money and horsepower. Your PCM will for sure need some tweaking by an expierenced tuner and you will need to do some wiring. With your mod list a bigger MAF is unneeded. Hopefully one of the PCM tuners will chime in any time now and give you the lowdown. A stock unmolested MAF is good for well over 400 HP so why mess with a good thing.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:36 PM

-> Stock MAF is a good for a lot more power. Don't replace it unless its broken.
-> If your replacing it, might as well get a Z06 --- IF you adjust the MAF tables correctly AND [[Have a very straight intake w/ no Z06 MAF Screen] OR [have a ZO6 MAF w/Screen on a no-so straight intake ie CAI.]].
-> The tables in the PCM must be correct for a Descreened MAF
-> The tables in the PCM must be correct for a Sreened MAF

If your tables do not match what your MAF is reading you may/may not have drivability issues depending on how far off the readings are.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:41 PM

save some cash and invest in some headers
Old 11-18-2004, 06:13 PM

Honestly your mod list reads like a SEMA wet dream but is not money effectively spent, comments inbedded in blue.
Originally Posted by ReeZone
ok I just got a brand new oem z06 maf for $60. I am gonna need some help gettin this thing workin...I have a small list of mods but am trying to add 1 thing a month...anyhow this is what I have done so far...you think I should put it on now......or wait till I do more...or put it on now if I can get it running properly...

no catsnot going to gain much modern cats are good
ported TBnot worth it with a stock motor
TB bypassgood
MSD Super conductor 8.5good
MSD Blaster Coilquestionably worthwhile modern ignitions are usually fine till forced induction or nitrous
Trick Flow Elbowfine if you like
K&N FIPK GenIIyou could build something for a lot less and see the same gains
93 oct pcm tunepcm work is a great mod
160 thermogood mod

waiting to go in:

NGK TR55IXexpect no extra power over a $1 copper plug these should last linger though
Borg Warner o2 sensorsDelcos are much better and if you get them from a forum affiliated source are usually cheaper than aftermarket
Z06 MAFBeen there tried that don't waste your money
Old 11-18-2004, 10:48 PM

Borg Warner o2 are the oem sensors...thats what they told me at the pontiac dealer anyhow....got em from a hook up at GM and only paid $28 each

The point of the NGK TR55IX was exactly that....just to have a good plug (plus I got them for like $40 for all 8)

The MSD Blaster was well worth the money considering my old coil took a crap and as soon as the part was changed the car woke up..

Ported TB came with the car since I am not the first owner....I am actually going to replace it with a 58mm....

The K&N....thaught I was getting a good deal on it...so I grabbed it new for $175

IMO no mod that you do is a waste of time.....you will either see results or learn something new....

I baught the MAF cause I got a good deal on it...$60....not actually set out to find it....it just popped up so I baught it....not really expecting to get much results...however mine IS 10 years old...and I can not believe the sensors are 100%.

headers, heads and intake ported by AI are hopefully the xmas present from the wife next month....

so is there a way to stretch the end of the trick flow elbow to 4"....like they do with exhaust tubing?