LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 AM

Need some help!

well i have a 93 lt1 and i was wondering if its possible to swap engines to a 95 or newer lt1 if possible what do i need? or is it a direct fit?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 AM

Wiring harness is different and the transmission is different (if automatic) so you'll need a complete setup.

Why would you switch anyway? There's no real benefit.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:03 AM

well i got the 93 z28 like i mentioned it has about 219,xxx miles on the clock...and i think i blew a head gasket and needs some touch ups, i was thinking of putting a hot cam and some more goodies but i heard it wasnt good. So i came across this other camaro 97 z28 to be specific its wrecked but the engine and tranny has 14.5k miles on it and he wants to get rid of the whole car and pretty cheap the car also has some mods done to it thats why i was wondering
Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 AM

well this guy told me that you do just remove the MAF as it is a function of the later engines computer and has nothing to do with the "physical" engine itself. The 93 uses input from the MAP sensor, CTS and TPS to estimate fueling and then uses the O2 sensors to trim that fueling. As far as I can tell, the 93 CTS, MAP sensor and TPS are the same as for later engines. The o2 sensors are different but that doesn't matter in this case as the old type would be used. Besides, the difference in O2 sensors centers on the newer ones being of the heated variety. Anyway, a retune isn't necessary as nothing is really different inside the engine...same displacement, same cam, etc. The injectors are different but the variation is within what the pcm can adjust for.

I probably would change the knock sensor in the block...I know the circuit inside the 93 pcm is different as it doesn't use a knock module, I'd change the gauge coolant sensor in the head as the gauge is a different scale and I'd move the oil pressure sending unit from the top of the block to the point just above the filter to keep everything the same as the 93 but I don't even think you have to do those things.....
all you have to do is put on the 93 exhaust manifolds on...and get a newer OPTI harness wire...about $30. Other than that I think the oil pressure sender is just above the oil filter on 93's and on the back of the block on the later cars. The newer manifold will work fine with the batch fire computer and ever the higher output injectors will work. It's prettu simple....
what do you guys think?