LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need opinions on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:21 PM

Need opinions on exhaust

I know this subject has been beaten to death(yes i did a search), but i just got a new car (went from a 95 Z to a 96 TA) and i think the new car has two cats correct? Well, My questions are... Is Hooker catback loud, and will it sound crappy with no cats? If i remove the cats will i need some sort of o2 sim, or doesnt that apply to my car? My main goal is to have the car sound real mean. I like them loud, but I don't want it to sound like a beatup farm truck with no muffler.

Hooker catback - No cats - opinions?
Old 06-13-2005, 07:59 PM

Re: Need opinions on exhaust

hookers catback is one of the best sounding IMO
but they dont seem too last that long and i have seen the muffler blow out on one before
Old 06-13-2005, 08:01 PM

The Hooker is the best flowing catback, about the same as the GMMG and sounds pretty good too. If you gotta go with a catback, get the Hooker, but you really should get true duals for the best sound quality and hp/torque gains. Texas Speed sells a universal adjustable kit for LT1's, or you could get the Summit or Jeg's X pipe kit and have a muffler shop tweak it to fit. If you go with true duals, you will need long tube headers though.

Jason
Old 06-13-2005, 08:41 PM

I wasn't happy with how loud my Hooker was on my 94 with the single cat... It does have a great tone, but to really wake it up you need to be at half throttle or WOT... I replaced the cat with a pipe and I'm happy with how loud it is now... It did change the tone to more of a raw sound though... But you can hear the Hooker sound... I see people saying it pops and cackles without the cat... Only time it does it with my A4 is if I'm driving through town in "D" instead of "OD"... Then 70% of the time it will pop if I let off the throttle doing 45+... I don't mind it though... With a M6 it probably pops more... Not the dual cats, but I thought I'd toss my opinion in there.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 PM

I have a 3" Magnaflow catback and have had at least five people follow me all the way home from work just to see what exhaust I have on my car. Sounds mean and other people like it.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by mebanditws6
The Hooker is the best flowing catback, about the same as the GMMG and sounds pretty good too. If you gotta go with a catback, get the Hooker, but you really should get true duals for the best sound quality and hp/torque gains. Texas Speed sells a universal adjustable kit for LT1's, or you could get the Summit or Jeg's X pipe kit and have a muffler shop tweak it to fit. If you go with true duals, you will need long tube headers though.

Jason
Your telling me that the hooker flows better then the Borla? I think NOT! Does Hoooker have a built in cut out?
Old 06-13-2005, 10:06 PM

Back when my mostly otherwise stock '95 Z28 (beside CAI) had just the Hooker cat-back, it had a great tone...It was very quiet at a warm idle and below 2000rpms, but on hard acceleration or at full throttle, it has the sweetest rumble...I WISH I had just kept it instead of blowing my money on a $700+ cat-back system...

To answer your other question, it will get a little raspy/tinny sounding (more raw like the other guy said) in the mid rpms if you run no cat...Personally, I'd leave the cat on there and just stick a cutout on the I-pipe for when you want to be really loud at all times...Otherwise the Hooker is plenty loud once you get into the mid rpms and up. Also one of the few systems that actually sounds good with headers IMO...

BTW, this is a clip of a stock '94 or '95 LT1 Z28 w/ only the Hooker cat-back...Mine had the same deep/mean rumble when revved up like this one:

http://www.ls1sounds.com/Hooker/hooker.mpeg

Good luck,

Mike
Old 06-14-2005, 09:10 AM

I had flowmaster catback on my 95Z with no cat and liked how loud it was, Im just looking for a different tone this time around. Will i be happy with the hooker?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:04 AM

I have the hooker system on mine and I love it. It does crackle when you let off the gas, but I also have an M6. Sounds kinda cool though.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:08 AM

Hooker is pretty conservative when it comes to being loud. Its pretty loud when you get on it but has almost 0 drone on the highway. I've had hooker, magnaflow, and flowmaster and the hooker has been the quietest.

The thing I really hated about the hooker was the tips, Quad tips are such a pain in the *** becaues they come out adjustment constantly. The tips are aluminum too if I remeber corectly so that means you can really tack them to the tail pipes to keep them straight.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:49 PM

where can you buy the loudmouth kit, and how much is it? Anybody have one in good used condition?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:16 AM

any sound clips of a loudmouth system, and where to buy?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:37 AM

Go HERE for sound clips.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:57 AM

Who said the Hooker flows as good as the GMMG???? I think not. It does flow very well compared to other exhausts, but the GMMG will outflow it like no other. There are many other exhausts that flow better than Hooker also. I am not saying its crap, but there is more to be seen in other exhausts.

Without cats and with longtubes it does sound very good. But within a few years it will start to rust and maybe blow out a muffler. A friend had this happen to his.

I have a GMMG on my car so I am really biased, but a Borla, GMMG, or just plain ole flows sound really good. If money is an object go with the Loudmouth, just don't take off your cats, unless you like the sound of a straight piped Farmtruck.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 97formulakid
Who said the Hooker flows as good as the GMMG???? I think not. It does flow very well compared to other exhausts, but the GMMG will outflow it like no other. There are many other exhausts that flow better than Hooker also. I am not saying its crap, but there is more to be seen in other exhausts.

Without cats and with longtubes it does sound very good. But within a few years it will start to rust and maybe blow out a muffler. A friend had this happen to his.

I have a GMMG on my car so I am really biased, but a Borla, GMMG, or just plain ole flows sound really good. If money is an object go with the Loudmouth, just don't take off your cats, unless you like the sound of a straight piped Farmtruck.
How is the GMMG going to out flow Borla? I can't see something that flows though a muffler, will out flow a system with a built in cut out (borla).
I just don't see this happening.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on exhaust