LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need a new tranny, WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 02:51 PM

Need a new tranny, WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY?

I need some feedback on what tranny I should buy? My tranny blew and I am going to need to replace it.

1996 Formula (A4)
K&N CAI, Hooker CatBack:Aero Chamber, Descreened MAF, TB Bypass, SLP Air Foil, Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires, Ngk TR55 Plugs, 1le Elbow, Hypertech 160 T-Stat , Water Wetter
Old 06-12-2003, 02:56 PM

Just rebuild the one you have with top quality parts. If not buy a GM tranny for 1500 and rape them on warrenties.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:35 AM

I had mine rebuilt locally with all the good stuff for 750 carryout.
Might check around where you live and see if there is a good tranny shop.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:34 AM

I don't know what your budget is, but I would suggest that you go with a Combination Motorsports' one like mine. For $1900 shipped they'll send you their Stage 2 with ALL the goodies, a one year warranty if you use a PI converter, PLUS the absolute best customer service available. If you have ANY problems, they will be there to take care of you. They'll also cut you a great deal on a vigilante converter as well.
I searched all over for a "built" 4l60e from a lot of other vendors, and I don't think a single one of them came even close to matching what these guys offer. You can't lose. Hope that helps.

Last edited by 94ZVert; 06-14-2003 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:08 AM

Which tranny? Do like me and go 6-SPEED!!! J/K

I've yet to hear anything bad about combo, so I would definitely go with them before anyone else.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:10 AM

check www.netgearhead.com
they sell some strong remanufactured tranny. for cheap too
Old 06-14-2003, 11:51 AM

You could always find somewhere cheaper. And although Combo's prices are lower than say FLP or any others, it's still pricier than some of these online places. Bottom line though, I think it's well worth it to buy from someone who you KNOW will stand behind their product and that it'll do exactly what you want it to do. What more could anyone ask for, other than it being free?
Old 06-14-2003, 04:20 PM

well I've always had problems with transmissions, the last one 700r4 had rebuilt by a performance place that specializes in these rebuild, right after warranty it broke. Then I went to another place of the same nature, well two weeks before the warranty ended it broke again, they gave me a huge hassle about it and ended up rebuilding it after I threatened suing. After getting it back I sold at a loss in the paper. Point being I spent more money than what a brand new rebuilt one would have cost. If I ever do it again this is what I will do, I just don't trust shops anymore for quality.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:36 PM

Finding a quality shop that actually knows what they're doing, and really cares about their customers, is very hit or miss when it comes to our cars. That's why I suggested Combination Motorsports. I'd rather people stick to reputable shops that other people have used and had success with than play russian roulette with some other "performance" shop. You really can't go wrong with them. (Hmm, I wonder if I could get an advertiser's fee? )
Old 06-15-2003, 07:46 AM

SMU Jeremey, the problem with that is that it was probably rebuilt with STOCK internals. If you plan on going faster those pieces probably will not hold up, and then you'll be going through the the warranty/stock rebuild route over and over until the warranty goes out. Personally, I feel that if a stock piece breaks, and that if it's fairly cost effective to replace it with a higher quality aftermarket piece (i.e.- $1676 for a stock tranny vs $1900 for a built one) then why not upgrade? These tranny's are not the best quality. That's why there are so many people on this board who are doing, or have already done a rebuild. You're wrong if you think that slapping the same parts in there will alleviate the problem, although you could add things like a tranny cooler to prolong their life.
Anyway, I've heard nothing but good things about LT1 Dave's tranny's as well. I was contemplating going with him also, but Combo has the ability to send you a tranny so you can still use yours while the new one is being built. They also have a very nice warranty, although it's only a year. Bottom line though, if you're going to modify your car to go faster, you must make sure that the rest of the car is built to handle it or else it'll spend more time on jackstands than on the street.