LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need help selecting a header

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 02:07 AM

Need help selecting a header

Tried doing a search but there's so much stuff I have to sort through to find what I'm looking for, I thought I might just ask everyone directly.

For my '97 Z28 LT1, what headers will provide the best clearance for the plugs and steering column? I am planning a true dual setup and haven't decided whether I'll keep the cats or not. This will be a daily driver that will rarely (if ever) see the strip. Right now, for muffler, I have the Flowmaster 80-series, and that makes a really nice sound, though I could go with one a bit louder, more agressive.

I've been seriously considering LT headers and moving the cats under the floop pan if they will still allow good ground clearance.

I will be either moving the fuel lines, or sheilding them with both a steel plate and heat reflecting product. My biggest concern is access to the plugs. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:11 AM

Re: Need help selecting a header

I would definitely go for longtubes for the power gain, do you need to meet emissions standards? If not, I'd go without the cats to save quite a few bucks. You won't find a better header than the Kooks SS longtubes, but they're pricey. AS&M makes a very good shorty if you're in need of the ground clearance.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:48 PM

How are the plug clearances on the headers you recommended? I've read quite a few horror stories about 1 or 2 plugs being practically inaccessible with some headers.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:10 PM

I just bought a set of pacesetter long tubes, went in pretty easy, allowed me to keep my emissions, and plug accessability is pretty awesome. and I didn't really lose any ground clearance since they're a slip fit header.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:29 PM

Here in CA if the cats are relocated then your system is not smog legal, even if it has the emissions hook-ups. I realize you may not care if you're thinking about deleting the cats, but others reading this post may want to know.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:37 PM

The price for not having cats here in california is not worth the power increase. tickets are pretty pricey. what u can do is have some hollow cats, cops sometimes are a** and look under your car atleast on mine. I have pacesetter longtubes i like them and werent that hard to put in.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:44 AM

For my money, there's no comparison to 300 stainless. Had conventional headers that rusted. Had ceramic and do now and they are ok but stainless is the S#!T.

The only stainless I know of, now that I already have Hookers on, is from KOOKS. I also noticed, if the picture in the magazine is correct, that they have non-flanged collector (slip fit). The Hookers have the three bolt flange and the top flange is pointing toward the floor plan and has almost no clearance. The KOOKS do not seem to have this problem. When you put the slip on collector on, you can turn it anyway you want.

I think if you ask about the KOOKS, anyone that has them will tell you what I can't.